Poll

How many objectives do you typically use in a 30 card deck and why?

0-3
3-6
6-9
9-12
my deck contains only objectives

Author Topic: Strategy: Objectives or Ships?  (Read 10161 times)

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Force: 67
  • Piskew! Piskew!
Strategy: Objectives or Ships?
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »
There are two lose conditions in this game.  If all of your objectives are destroyed you lose.  If you have no ships in play you lose.

So, what strategy do you use when playing?  Do you go for objectives or the removal of all ships?  Or do you have no direct goal but merely go after what seems the most likely to win in any given game?

For help and links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline Phantom Regiment Fan

• Padawan
  • Force: 4
Re: Strategy: Objectives or Ships?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
I generally go for destroying my opponent's ships. With my deck, it's easier to kill ships than to reach/kill objectives.

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • Force: 89
  • So be it.
    • Star Wars Pocketmodels Community
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 02:59:05 PM »
In the  games I've played I've tended to try to kill their ships until I see them put too much into the contested zone, and at that point I usually try to jump into their home zone to attack their objectives.  I'm all about trying to make them change their game plan.
Admin

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 03:24:36 PM »
I only know one other person who plays.  We've tried to mix up a few different decks / fleets.  But I find that going after the objectives first is almost always a guaranteed victory.  Get a Star Destroyer into their home base, pull in a ** ship, and blast away the objectives.

It's far easier than taking out their entire fleet.

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • So be it.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »
There was a rumor going around from a magazine article (i think) that said they are going to add some stationary lasers or something.  It sounds like they would be used to protect your objectives or something like that.  So it sounds like going after objectives is going to get a bit harder come September.
Admin

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
I would appreciate that.  Games which last all of 6 minutes are not very fun.  My friend and I thought they needed to do something to make Objectives harder.  Maybe make the rule 5 or so objectives.  The problem with that, though, is that one could get hella good bonuses by having some of those objectives in play.

There needs to be something changed about objectives.  Cause all you have to do is live through their turn attacking and then just beat the objective's defense number, which isn't hard with some of the ships and a few of the +2 to strike attempt objectives in play.  There were a few games where all I had to do was roll the dice to hit his objectives, and that's not fun.

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • So be it.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 04:00:40 PM »
Yeah, having shields like ships would have made sense to me.
Admin

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »
Or allow a defending player to make an attack on any ships that fire onto it's Objectives or something.

I assume the balance was supposed to be that the Objectives sit in your home zone, but in practice that doesn't seem to help all that much.

Plus the carrier ability being an unlimited effect.  You bring in your star destroyer, bring in a **, and then keep bringing it back until they either destroy the star destroyer or you destroy all of their Objectives.

It's a bit wonky.

Offline outrider

• Jedi
  • Force: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »
I usually aim to defeat my opponent's fleet as well (especially with swarms)... it is rather difficult to infiltrate the opponents home zone to strike the next turn without getting shot at... although I will use heavily shielded carrier, like the "Devastator" to stay in my opponent's home zone and to try to knock out objectives or drop units in my opponent's zone... I don't think I really favor one victory condition over the other, I think it depends on what your opponent does...
FROM THE REN & STIMPY SHOW

Narrator: "How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to erradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?"

Stimpy: "No I can't! Yeagh!"

• Padawan
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 05:22:18 PM »
In my fleet, I don't have many carriers, so objectives is not how I like to win.

I generally keep some fighters back in case my opponent decides to go for my objectives, but the rest goes after his fleet.

Offline Smaug317

• Jedi
  • Force: 16
  • "He doesn't like you. I don't like you either."
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »
There are two lose conditions in this game.  If all of your objectives are destroyed you lose.  If you have no ships in play you lose.

So, what strategy do you use when playing?  Do you go for objectives or the removal of all ships?  Or do you have no direct goal but merely go after what seems the most likely to win in any given game?

For me, it all depends on the situation.  ::)

I'd say it's about 50/50 for me. Ships battles usually happen no matter what though.
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."

Trade List

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 07:12:52 PM »
I use both tactics. I do whatever is appropriate to the situation and exploit it. If it's wiping out ships, I do it. If it's eliminating objectives, I do it. Every game is different, and so must the strategy be.

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:30:46 PM »
Do people build their decks / fleets with any specific strategy in mind?  Or do they build with a more general "strong ships and strong cards" philosophy?

I build for a "destroy objectives" philosophy.  I use cards and ships that can enable me to get to my opponent's home zone quickly and blow away their objectives while increasing my defense.

Anyone else build like this?

• Padawan
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »
My deck/fleet is (obviously) built around destroying the enemy's fleet. To do this I have many droid icons on my ships and in my deck that prevent me from tacking damage/repairing damage.

Offline Shadd

• Recruit
  • H Tan, H Epi Tas
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 04:36:55 AM »
I would appreciate that.  Games which last all of 6 minutes are not very fun.  My friend and I thought they needed to do something to make Objectives harder.  Maybe make the rule 5 or so objectives.  The problem with that, though, is that one could get hella good bonuses by having some of those objectives in play.

There needs to be something changed about objectives.  Cause all you have to do is live through their turn attacking and then just beat the objective's defense number, which isn't hard with some of the ships and a few of the +2 to strike attempt objectives in play.  There were a few games where all I had to do was roll the dice to hit his objectives, and that's not fun.

Or allow a defending player to make an attack on any ships that fire onto it's Objectives or something.

I assume the balance was supposed to be that the Objectives sit in your home zone, but in practice that doesn't seem to help all that much.

Plus the carrier ability being an unlimited effect.  You bring in your star destroyer, bring in a **, and then keep bringing it back until they either destroy the star destroyer or you destroy all of their Objectives.

It's a bit wonky.

Watch out _J_, you are almost thinking like someone who can see where a house rule will make a game more challenging or fun?  :o

I know you are a die hard ?by the written rule? philosopher.  But I am pretty sure you will see even WK coming up with ?house rules? for their scenarios here in the near future.

With your dislike of 6 minute games being stated; I offer you this? try playing on a grid of 9.  3x3? 3 contested zones and 3 home zones per player, one OBJ in each square.  You will see a crazy different game when you actually have to manage your fleet.  And you won?t have to worry; your fleet will still be able to be used in standard play.  ;D

But back to the main post? If you want to kill Objectives, just load up on ?+strike/Asteroid hideout? Obj?s in your home sector. Then field droid ships and play ?damage cards, assassin droid and dice cards (to be used with asteroid hideout).  In 2 turns you will be in their home zone.  Attack their OBJ?s and keep your ships alive if they attack them.  But that, imho, would be boring; I play Imp (pure) swarm on a multi sector map  :D

I can?t wait for the release of Ground Assault!  :'(