Author Topic: ZERO/0 Damage Units - Discussions  (Read 4925 times)

Offline ackbar

• Recruit
  • Force: 2
Re: ZERO/0 Damage Units - Discussions
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »
Like you guessed, it's all in the cards, and can be either combat (ex Chewbacca #83 of BS, you get plus one damage, plus up to 2 more dependent on your base roll) or objective (ex, Battle of Hoth #37 S&V, being in the same zone as your Echo 9 Tauntaun, it automatically gets 1 damage).  If you had that combo and rolled 2 5's or 6's or one of each, you'd deal 4 damage.

Unless I have no idea what I'm talking about, that's how I see it.

PS, sorry I don't know how to do the linkage so you can hover over the cards/units and the picture pops up.

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
  • Force: 55
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
Like you guessed, it's all in the cards, and can be either combat (ex Chewbacca #83 of BS, you get plus one damage, plus up to 2 more dependent on your base roll) or objective (ex, Battle of Hoth #37 S&V, being in the same zone as your Echo 9 Tauntaun, it automatically gets 1 damage).  If you had that combo and rolled 2 5's or 6's or one of each, you'd deal 4 damage.

Unless I have no idea what I'm talking about, that's how I see it.
That is correct: units with a Damage Value of "0" can only inflict damage by using card modifiers.
To illustrate ackbar's example:
Echo Nine Tauntaun Riders playing Chewbacca deals a guaranteed "1" damage (ignoring any defensive modifiers), and additional damage up to +2 depending on the base roll.
Each copy of Battle of Hoth present in the same zone will give an additional +1 damage.

Traditionally, zero-damage units are primarily used for strike actions (For example, Echo Seven is on +4 for strikes), but with careful deck selection they can inflict damage too...

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • Force: 34
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 08:25:32 AM »
Attack, attack, attack.  The key stat on your units is that big fat red number.

Damage is less of a concern, unless your fleet is designed to rout the enemy rather than win by strike. 

With amazing staple cards like Boba Fett, Acceptable Loss, Hate Leads to Suffering, Dengar and the almighty Padme....... who needs a lot of damage anyway?

Wedge Antilles' Snowspeeder FTW.

"There's plenty of youth in the world. What we need is a fountain of Smart".

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »
Correct!

E_Lair and gambitking are of course correct as well.

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline wannabemexican

• Recruit
  • Force: 3
Luke's Landspeeder, Padme's Nubian.
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 06:09:47 AM »
This week I managed to get my hands on a box of 24 Scum and Villainy boosters, which while epic, has led me to have a question.

What is the point of ships such as the Nubian and the Landspeeder, that have attack bonuses, but have a printed damage rating of 0? Do they fill a role at all in any fleets?
I cod, you codn't.

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
Re: Luke's Landspeeder, Padme's Nubian.
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »
This week I managed to get my hands on a box of 24 Scum and Villainy boosters, which while epic, has led me to have a question.

What is the point of ships such as the Nubian and the Landspeeder, that have attack bonuses, but have a printed damage rating of 0? Do they fill a role at all in any fleets?
Both Luke Skywalker's X-34 Landspeeder and Padme's Nubian Yacht (from Scum & Villainy) have high attack and defense stats (+3 and 11, respectively) and are among the best strike units in the game. With the :droid: icons on both, they are able to take advantage of extra defense bonuses, as well as damage reduction and avoidance during combat. They really shine when striking, however, with the high attack bonus, and do not need damage values to destroy an objective ... remember, all it takes is for the dice roll to beat the defense value.

Padme's Nubian Yacht (SV), however, is the better of the two, having :republic: affiliation that triggers some cards, as well as the :transport: icon, which activates some amazing abilities to slap the opposition down hard. The Clone Wars version (Padme's Nubian Yacht (CW)) of the yacht, though, is not as impressive, having a lower defense and attack and lacking the transport icon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:35:12 AM by gethralkin »

Offline GaryL

• Master's Apprentice
  • Force: 60
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »
Nice answer!
[img width= height=]http://www.gd3-design.co.uk/StarWarsTCG/Images/WSTitle.jpg[/img]
My web site: www.gd3-design.co.uk/StarWarsTCG/ My trade list: Click Here

Offline wannabemexican

• Recruit
  • Force: 3
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »
I completely forgot about striking. That makes a lot of sense. Rookie mistake. Thanks for the very well explained answer.
I cod, you codn't.