Author Topic: Icon Names and Abilities + "No Cowards" Rule  (Read 4616 times)

Offline jacksdad

• Jedi Knight
  • Force: 22
    • My website
Icon Names and Abilities + "No Cowards" Rule
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:21:08 PM »
Ok, we played our first game today and this one came up, with regard to the new silver :convert: icon. The printed rule text states that "If this unit is chosen for a move action, you may flip over its base instead of moving it".
This can apparently be used to work around the "no cowards" rule as a substitute for passing on your turn. Certain people in my playgroup love to pass, and wait for the enemy to come into their HZ. Now they can basically do that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:37:14 PM by slightlyiffy »

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
Re: Icon Names and Abilities + "No Cowards" Rule
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »
The purpose of the "no cowards" rule is to prevent someone from doing exactly that. I will bring this up to the design team to ask how they want to address this. I imagine that it will probably come down to that a unit must actually move (carrier drop included), battle, or strike to count as not passing. Simply using the :convert: ability over and over without one of the above taking place would still constitute as a pass.

For the time being, I'll give this as an official ruling:
"At least one unit must actually move (:carrier: included), battle, or strike during the players turn to count as an action. The :convert: ability alone without an actual move is counted as a pass for the purposes of the "no cowards" rule."

As stated, I'll contact WK asap and let you know what, if anything, they wish to do differently.

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline Macharius

• Recruit
  • Force: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:26 AM »
Sorry to ask:
What and where is the "no cowards" rule?
Is this an official rule?
I fight for the :republic:, but the :yoda: betray us.
So we crushed them, and now I fight for the :empire: !
Service Ribbons:
:empire::force::carrier::turbo::leader::elite::laser:

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:01:39 AM »
Yes. The "No Cowards" rule is official and can be found in the FAQ in the library section of this site.

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:20:07 AM »
For the time being, I'll give this as an official ruling:
"At least one unit must actually move (:carrier: included), battle, or strike during the players turn to count as an action. The :convert: ability alone without an actual move is counted as a pass for the purposes of the "no cowards" rule."

This has been cleared by the design team and is now official for the time being. They will reevaluate it in the future if necessary, but unless/until a need to do so arises, this is now the rule to follow.

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
Due to the number of questions I receive asking if there's a list of all the icons and what they do, I've made this list to help people quickly and easily find the information they're looking for. :)

Each section is broken down into the set the icon originated in.

Normal Match Icons
These are the normal green hexagonal icons. They grant no abilities of their own, but allow card abilities to function.
:leader: = Leader
:torpedo: = Torpedo
:trooper: = Trooper

Ground Assault:
:bdroid: = Battle Droid
:blaster: = Blaster
:transport: = Transport

Order 66:
:airborne: = Airborne
:elite: = Elite

Scum and Villainy:
:ruthless: = Ruthless

Clone Wars:
:command: = Command
:dogfight: = Dogfight

Clone Wars: Tactics:
:recon: = Recon

Power Match Icons
These are the silver diamond shaped icons. They grant an additional persistent special ability to a unit it is printed on.
You may use this ability instead of taking an action this turn. If this unit occupies your opponent's home zone, put up to :star: :star: of units from your reserves into your opponent's home zone.
-- Note: Only one qualifying :carrier: unit may use its ability in a single turn.

:turbo: = Turbolaser
Quote from:  Turbolaser Ability
+1 damage against :star: :star: :star: :star: and :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: units.

==============================

Ground Assault:
:armor: = Armor
Quote from: Armor Ability
Reduce damage dealt to this unit by 1.

Scum and Villainy:
:veteran: = Veteran
Quote from: Veteran Ability
If this unit destroys a unit that has the same or more build stars, flip its base and use the values printed there. This unit begins the game with the :veteran: icon showing.
-- Note: A unit must actually survive the combat to qualify to be flipped as per above.

Clone Wars:
:convert: = Convert
Quote from: Convert Ability
If this unit is chosen for a move action, you may flip over its base instead of moving it
-- Note: If units are only flipped during the move action, the action is considered a "Pass" for purposes of the No Cowards rule.

The Force Unleashed Tin:
= Cloak
Quote from: Cloak Ability
When you choose this unit for a move action, it may cloak (flip its base from the name side to the CLOAKED side) or uncloak (flip its base from the CLOAKED side to the name side) instead of moving. A cloaked unit can't be chosen for combat actions or strike actions. This unit begins the game uncloaked.
-- Note: A cloaked unit CAN be targeted by the opponent and is eligible for card abilities as normal.

Clone Wars: Tactics:
= Artillery
Quote from: Artillery Ability
When chosen as an attacker, this unit may battle a defender in an adjacent zone. Resolve this battle normally, except that:
  • a) the defender may not make a base roll
  • b) the attacker may not play a card, and
  • c) if the attack hits, the attacker deals 1 damage for each :artillery: icon on its base instead of its printed damage value.
-- Note: +Damage is not added to an :artillery: attack.

Wild Icons
These are triangular icons that have different limitations for their use. They all use the same ability description.

Base Set:
:force: = Force
:luck: = Luck

Faction Affiliations
These are the symbols used to denote which faction affiliation a unit has. This becomes important in "Faction Limited" games, and for certain card abilities. Units that don't have one of the following do not have a faction affiliation and are sometimes referred to as "neutral".
:confed: = Separatists (or Confederates)

What is the "No Cowards" Rule?

Taken directly from the FAQ:
Quote from: No Cowards Rule from FAQ
In a tournament, if both players go three turns without a move, an attack, a strike, or use the :carrier: Power Match ability, the player with the most units in the contested zone takes two turns, and then play reverts to normal again. If both players go three turns without an attack, a strike, or :carrier: ability (but both players are moving units from zone to zone), each player goes to double turns until an attack or a strike occurs. This is known as the ?No Cowards? rule. You may use this in casual games as well if you wish.

Example 1: I move all of my units into the contested zone and my opponent passes every turn. Once in the contested zone, I pass as well. When both of us have passed three times, I will get a double turn because I have the most units in the contested zone. I can use one turn to move into my opponent?s home zone and the second turn to attack his or her units, deploy units with a carrier, or strike an objective. We will then go back to normal, with my opponent getting one action and the turns progressing as normal.

Example 2: I have one unit, the Millennium Falcon. My opponent Ethan has one unit, a TIE Fighter. I keep moving into a zone and the TIE Fighter keeps moving to a different zone in response. After three turns of this, both players, starting with the player who did not strike or attack last, gets two actions. At this point my Millennium Falcon will be able to move into the same zone as the TIE and attack,
ending Ethan?s cowardly attempt to run.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:42:15 AM by slightlyiffy »