Author Topic: Cloaking  (Read 8560 times)

Offline star fan_

• Recruit
  • Force: 1
Re: Cloaking
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03:39 AM »
the klingons cant fire while cloaked either, nor the romulans. the klingons drop there cloak then fire and as soon as they have fired they recloak. it might look like there firing while cloaked bbut there not.
"You were deceived, and now your republic shall fall" DARTH MALGUS

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • Force: 34
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2009, 11:13:55 AM »
Hey Star Fan, i'm not a 'trekkie', but i seem to remember a certain instance when General Chang piloted a Klingon Bird of Prey that could fire while cloaked, although it ended up being blown up over Khitomer and was the only proto-type of its kind.... but ya know, like i said, this ain't no Star Trek forum.

"There's plenty of youth in the world. What we need is a fountain of Smart".

Offline star fan_

• Recruit
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2009, 08:20:42 AM »
i need to watch that episode again, which set did it come from again? tha al-kesh cant fire while cloaked either, thats not star trek.

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »
Now wait a minute, you don't wanna go toe-to-toe on SG-1

I'm not much of a star trek fan, I will admit that (except for that episode where everyone freaked out cuz a cloaked BoP was firing).

..... but let's not go there with the whole Stargate thing, because THAT is a different story and I'm very much a fan.   Seriously.... you're talking apples and oranges anyway. Al-Kesh are midrange bombers, used for ground assaults, not much in space... you know, for blowing stuff up, knocking over stargates, destroying Tok'ra tunnels ... yadda yadda.  ;D  tek ma tek.

(Sorry to mods if we've gotten a little off topic, but that's what you get when sci-fi geeks come together on a star wars forum)   :fight:

Offline star fan_

• Recruit
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2009, 12:16:57 PM »
Jumpers cant fire while cloaked either. if we went toe to toe you would beat me but i was too busy with school 2 watch every episode twice. i cant wait till universe comes out can u?

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »
Yeah I work too much as well... But I love me some SG-1.  And yeah, I am PUMPED about Universe.  As long as the excellent Outer Limits team keeps working on it, any new cast members will fit right in (but i know we all miss Amanda Tapping)

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
The Ark of Truth was really good, I thought. Kind of tied up the loose ends. Then Continuum just created a few more (didn't he end up living out his days in the past after he thwarted the loss of the gate?).

Anyhow, back to the BoP discussion. The Klingon ship that could fire while cloaked was featured in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. The exhaust trail was how the crew of the Enterprise found it.

Offline star fan_

• Recruit
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
I wonder who the next oneal will be?

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2009, 11:25:17 PM »
It's all very simple. Star Wars is not Star Trek is not SG-1. The imaginary science and physics involved in each one are overall unique and not compatible. Some may share similar elements (cloaking, "beaming", light/energy based weapons) they are fundamentally different and can't be accurately compared.

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline star fan_

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »
true but what i was saying is that cloaking is trackable in some form and the cloaking on the rogue shadow is probably the first kind of cloaking in the starwars universe. the rakatan civilization fell befor they could start working on cloaking even though they did not need cloaking because they were the dominent force in the galaxy befor they lost their force sensibility.

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »
And let's not forget about Active Camo

Offline star fan_

• Recruit
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »
were talking about ships not infintry. active camo has ONE major flaw. it doesnt hide the heat signiture of the unit like cloaking does.

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »
true but what i was saying is that cloaking is trackable in some form and the cloaking on the rogue shadow is probably the first kind of cloaking in the starwars universe. the rakatan civilization fell befor they could start working on cloaking even though they did not need cloaking because they were the dominent force in the galaxy befor they lost their force sensibility.

Actually, cloaking in the Star Wars universe was already well developed by this point, and even more highly advanced than later incarnations of the technology, due to the scarcity of the ores or crystals used for the effect. Here is a lesson in SW universe cloaking technology:

Before the rise of the Galactic Empire, cloaking devices were virtually unknown. However, stygium was found to be a crystal that, when used properly, could entirely cloak a vehicle. In the Galactic Republic's early years these devices were common, since Aeten II in the Dreighton Nebula held an abundance of them. Around 32 BBY, Sienar Design Systems developed and built one of the first cloaking field generators for Darth Maul's Scimitar, which carried an array of stygium crystals in its long prow. This cloaking device allowed Maul to easily infiltrate virtually any world undetected. Boba Fett also had one, which had been added onto Slave I by Mentis Qinx, a dockyard owner on Tatooine. During the Clone Wars, Separatist Spelunker probe droids were also equipped with cloaking devices.

The Rogue Shadow, Galen Marek's transport, had an experimental cloaking device onboard.

Emperor Palpatine's personal Lambda-class shuttle was also rumored to be equipped with a stygium cloak. However, as the crystal supply dwindled, cloaking devices followed suit, until there were none left at all. By the time of the Battle of Yavin, Aeten II's reserve of accessible crystals had been depleted, making the manufacture of new stygium-based cloaks a virtual impossibility.

Grand Admiral Martio Batch managed to create a cloak based on hibridium, an ore that was obtainable only on the western coastline of the main continent of the planet Garos IV, and found when the Empire was searching for an alternative to stygium crystals. It was discovered that hibridium had a natural ability to cloak other objects. Unfortunately, the prototype hibridium cloaking devices were far less effective than those created from stygium (they required massive amounts of power to operate and more room to house the device) and suffered from double blindness?occupants of a starship using one could no more see the rest of the galaxy than the rest of the galaxy could see them. This double blindness limited its military effectiveness since it also blocked the host ship's scanners and communication systems. Since visual navigation was also impossible, any other form of navigation could only be exercised by pre-programmed astrogation routes. The vessel was thus effectively isolated from the rest of the galaxy. Communications, combat operations, and sensor sweeps could only occur when the cloaking field was lowered or disabled. The cloaking device did nothing to impair senses dependent on the Force, however, and trained Force-users could detect even cloaked ships in battle with ease. Another drawback of these devices was that they became unstable when entering hyperspace, often resulting in the destruction of the ships they were being used on.

Due to the failure of hibridium cloaking devices, Batch sent the Tarkin to Aeten II, where it blew up the planet, exposing thousands of previously unreachable stygium crystals for Batch to use. He recreated the old stygium technology and applied it to the TIE Phantom project. However, over a series of encounters, the Rebels learned of the new threat. Recognizing the danger, the Alliance dispatched pilots Rookie One and Ru Murleen to capture one of the fighters for study.

The Rebels successfully infiltrated the Executor-class Star Dreadnought Terror as it prepared to launch the TIE Phantoms against the Alliance, and they escaped with one of the fighters. The Rebel saboteurs then used it to destroy both the Terror and the facility where the fighters were produced. However, the Rebels' acquisition of the fighter was short-lived?when the stolen TIE Phantom's self-destruct mechanism activated before the Rebels could examine the fighter, the technology was lost.

The original hibridium cloak prototype found its way to the Emperor's storehouse on Wayland, where it remained hidden until the return of Grand Admiral Thrawn. Thrawn used the technology in a number of creative ways, including hiding a shipload of TIE/ln starfighters and mole miners as "empty cargo" in the Battle of Sluis Van; using cloaked asteroids as a unique siege engine at Coruscant; and carefully lining up ships above and below a planetary shield (with the ones beneath the shield cloaked) so fire from the orbiting ships would appear to pass right through the shield. This tactic led to the conquest and occupation of several New Republic member worlds including Sluis Van and Ukio without the heavy damage to lives, industry, and resources sustained during most conventional planetary invasions.

After Thrawn's death, innovation in finding a use for the device focused on the Computerized Combat Predictor. Unfortunately, ten years after Thrawn's death, the Predictor still performed insufficiently to warrant further hope.

The Empire Reborn used a shuttle that was equipped with a one-way cloaking device.

In 14 ABY, Jedi Padawan Jaden Korr went to Yalara on a mission of destroying the planet's cloaking device, to prevent the Imperial Remnant from laying hands on it.

Then, the clone Grodin Tierce, who had been created with some of Thrawn's own thought processes, found a new use for the cloaking device, hiding three Star Destroyers in the outskirts of the Bothawui system, guiding them in by use of a comet that barely grazed the cloaking field.

The use of stygium crystals stopped after the creation of the New Republic, although they were still available from Aeten II.

There was also an entire island on Maramere composed of the crystals, which made it invisible to scanners. Since the island was also covered with the fog surrounding the Haunted Strait, the island was also invisible to the eye, making it the perfect hideout for Sol Sixxa.