Author Topic: Discarding Jedi Objectives  (Read 1459 times)

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • Force: 34
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
Discarding Jedi Objectives
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
At what point exactly during a battle do you discard an Objective to give a unit bonuses in combat?  Such as "Mace Windu" or "Ki Adi Mundi" objectives, which pertain to those units, respectively.

Do you have a choice between playing a combat card either before or after discarding the objective?

"There's plenty of youth in the world. What we need is a fountain of Smart".

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
Re: Discarding Jedi Objectives
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:27:05 AM »
PERSONAL INTERPRETATION:
The discard objectives can be done at any time during play that satisfies the condition of the card (usually during a battle or strike containing the specified unit(s)).

This does not take the place of playing a card, and you can discard it before card playing. This does have the ability to prevent the opponent from being able to bury it with cards such as Altering the Deal before you can discard. However, should the opponent play such a card first, you cannot discard it to "save" it.

I'm going to double-check this because there is some possibility that it may be intended to only be discarded at a point where it's considered "your turn" in the flow of a battle, which would change the above making it possible for an opponent to bury a discard objective right off the bat.

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:47:26 PM »
PERSONAL INTERPRETATION:
The discard objectives can be done at any time during play that satisfies the condition of the card (usually during a battle or strike containing the specified unit(s)).

This does not take the place of playing a card, and you can discard it before card playing. This does have the ability to prevent the opponent from being able to bury it with cards such as Altering the Deal before you can discard. However, should the opponent play such a card first, you cannot discard it to "save" it.

I'm going to double-check this because there is some possibility that it may be intended to only be discarded at a point where it's considered "your turn" in the flow of a battle, which would change the above making it possible for an opponent to bury a discard objective right off the bat.

Okay Porpman, thanks for the input.  Let me tell you the reason I want to clear this one up.  I'm working on a Jedi build and I'm using lots of those types of Objectives. 

As you mentioned, it is best to discard it before the opponent plays a card that takes it away.  But my particular interest is whether it is discarded before or after I play my card (presuming I'm the attacker).

The reason is best explained by example. 

If I'm battling with a friendly Ki Adi Mundi unit, with a Ki Adi Mundi objective in play... and I play the C3PO combat card that gives +1 defense for each objective revealed...  can I take that bonus while Ki Adi is up, and then discard the Ki Adi for the additional +4 defense? You see my perplexity ...

Thanks for the help!

(P.S. - with 2 Hoth Snowfields in play in your HZ, plus 8 total objectives in play (and C3PO), plus discarding Ki Adi, your unit in the above situation in an opposing HZ would have a +17 defense - and it's not an unlikely scenario)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:06:17 PM by gambitking »

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:20:31 PM »
In this particular case you'd have to decide on one or the other.

For Battling:
"5. Find your unit's defense result by modifying its defense value using combat cards played or revealed objectives in play that affect the defense value. This total result is the defense result."

This is the point where you need to decide. If you want to count the defense from C-3PO the objective needs to be in play. If you want the defense from discarding the objective, it needs to have been discarded before or at this point.

In fact, I think that this answers the previous issue and that this is the only phase where it actually can be discarded. I'll still double-check with WK on it, but I'm pretty sure this is how it's going to pan out.

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:22:32 AM »
I see, Porpman.  That's definitely the best way to look at it.  I agree with that interpretation, thanks for the help and I'll watch for the official word.

Offline DrGiggles

• Padawan
  • Force: 4
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »
Do you discard it from your hand or from the "objective zone"?  I thought you could only discard it if it was face up.  If you can discard it from your hand it becomes more useful.

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:41:37 PM »
They are only discardable from face up in an objective slot.