Author Topic: Preferred Objective Tactics  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Rogue4

• Jedi Knight
  • Force: 50
  • "You are unwise to lower your pants."
    • Holotable - SWCCG
Preferred Objective Tactics
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
Okay, so I figured it was about time for another article.  This time I?ll focus on objectives. 

I?ll divide objectives up by the perceived strength, with Tier 1 objectives being the strongest (i.e. MMP, etc.) and then by Set.  I?ll try not to leave too much overlap between this and my other article on Preferred Icon Tactics, but there might be a bit.  I?ll also start a new trend and comment on the current value (as estimated {or as paid at one time or another} by me) of each card (i.e. how hard it would be to get ahold of).

This seems like it will be another big post, so I?ll break it up and post it as I finish each section.

Tier 1 Objectives

These are the mainstays of this game.  These are the cards upon entire decks are built.  Everybody knows these and how they work.   

Base Set
The base set by far has the widest spread of most useful objectives. 
Dagobah Swamp -  (a.k.a Swamp) Probably the #1 (or #2) card in the game.  Should be in almost every deck.  It?s utility is rarely excessive and can almost always be used to your advantage.  Sometimes, simply the threat of holding one of these in your hand is enough to keep your opponent on the defensive, allowing you to dictate where the game goes.  This card is sick, basically giving a TWO TURN advantage to whomever plays it.  Without a doubt the best uncommon in the game.  Out of my five currently built decks, four of them play 3x Dagobah Swamp.   Value = $1
Death Star Hanger ? (DSH, D*H)The mainstay of recursion.  The most reliable way to get back :star: :star: -worth of units.  One of the main reasons that :star: :star: :star: space units do not see as much play is because they have no card like DSH which can get them back easily.  $0.75
Cloud City ? (CC) My favorite card from the base set.  In every deck I build. Who doesn?t want an extra card in their hand?  2 or 3 of these on table simply makes me smile.  If you can?t win with a 6-card hand, you?re just not trying hard enough.    My #4 card in the game. $5-8
Geonosis Droid Factory ? (GDF) The foundation of Droid Damage removal decks.  ?Nuff said.  $3-4 Getting harder to find.
Kamino Cloning Facility ? (KCF or Kamino) Swarm. Swarm. Swarm.  If you are considering a :star: unit based swarm deck, you should be playing a few copies of this.  Better than DSH for swarms.  In fact, it?s ESSENTIAL for swarm decks.  $4-7
Mustafar Mining Platform ? (MMP) This is perhaps one of the most versatile objectives in the game.  Great for any deck that kills a lot of stuff.  Swarms love this card.  Instant damage decks love this card.  Acceptable Loss, Boba Fett, Dengar?   Play them and play MMP.  Almost tied with Swamp, but I give this one #2 just because there are top decks that don?t play this (Droid decks, Jedi Evasion, etc.)  $10 (still)

Ground Assault
Ground Assault really opened up the possibilities for objectives to a whole new level.  Offensive and defensive tactics got more options, swarm got better, and the game sped up with the introduction of cycling.
Theed Royal Palace ? (TRP, Theed) Fantastic card.  Changed the speed of this game.  #3 card in the game.  Changed how many copies of cards I run; whereas I used to run 3x of whatever card I wanted to play, I now commonly run 3x Theed, 1x CC, 1-2x DSH, 1 support ship, as a standard recursion-based objective package (and maybe a kamino).  You burn thru your deck faster and get to key cards more often.  Play more combat cards, play more objectives.  I used to play with 8-12 objectives in each deck, now I can effectively play 12-15 objectives and not get hand screwed by them.  I can also play fewer objectives and keep them on the table more often.  With TRP you basically burn through your deck two to three times as fast as your opponent without TRP.   That means you can play Acceptable loss up to 6 more times than your opponent, for a total of 9 times while they have only played it 3x.  That is huge.  Cycling basically serves as a way to get around card copy limits in your deck. $0.50
Support Ship ? Great form of recursion for :star: :star: :star: ground units.  Use it, it?s Tier 1.  Generally play about 1 per deck if I?m using at least one :star: :star: :star: ground unit, or heck if I?m using ground units at all.  This is better than DSH in the sense it moves your guys up a zone as well?(granted they can?t attack space units, but for objective destruction decks this is a key advantage).  Great for ground-unit based objective-destroying swarms.  $0.75
Kashyyyk Beachhead ? The ultimate in disruption tactics.  Take that MMP or TRP off the table without having to destroy it.  Also, it not just takes it off the table, but it burys it at the bottom of opponent?s deck.  Play this card multiple times along with Altering the deal (does the same thing basically) to stack objectives at the bottom of your opponent?s deck.  I have been hit with this before and had 5-9 objectives just sitting at the bottom of my deck, which is a huge disadvantage when you get to them?as you can?t battle effectively and your units tend to die to a lack of combat cards while you desperately try to burn through your objectives as fast as you can.  A good opponent can turn the game around during this point and bypass your units, going straight for your objective slots while you have no reliable way to counter them.  $2
Wampa Cave ? This is one of the best defensive cards out there.  Limiting what your opponent can play makes them much easier to fend off.  No more droid cards, no more Padme?s, no more acceptable losses?   Just try going after my objectives. ;)  You?ll be dead before you ever get near them.  $4 Surprisingly harder to find.

Order 66
Order 66 was a great set for introducing character-based objective cards.  This new mechanic, while interesting and potentially powerful, did not really affect core gameplay too heavily.  Jedi deck that rely on discarding the character objectives are simply not that prevalent or powerful compared to traditional decktypes. 
Ki-Adi-Mundi ? In retrospect I should be ranking this objective in the top 5 as well.  This objective is probably the most amazing offensive card.  While Swamp will effectively take away 2 turns from your opponent, Ki-Adi-Mundi basically gives you an extra turn.  For anybody going after objectives, this is a no-brainer.  Play it; you won?t be sorry.  $8-9 Impossible to find.
Yoda ? Defense 14?!?!  You really need any other reason to play this?  Oh, it also grants +1 attack for jedi units, which is always helpful in my book.  A must have in jedi decks.  The 14 is where it really gains it?s reputation.  Three of these on table are simply unstoppable without Kashyyyk Beachhead or something similar.  I originally picked up a playset on ebay for $4 each, but now $8-10?almost impossible to find for sale or trade.

Scum & Villainy
Forward objectives!  Need I say more?
Battle of Yavin ? Tied for my favorite objective.  Battle twice!!!  That means twice as many battles, which means you?re going through your deck twice as fast again.  Combine with TRP for maximum effectiveness.  :star: :star: :star: and larger units make a comeback with this card.  I play 3x in most decks.  Good in contested zone or home zone for highly effective defense.  Three of these babies in your HZ = letting Falcon or Vader?s TIE battle 4x!!!   Makes S&V worth the purchase.  $3-4  Pretty easy to get ahold of?
Imperial Blockade ? Also tied for my favorite objective.  Stops. Swarms. Dead.  Most :star: and :star: :star: units only have 1 shield.  This STOPS those units from coming any further.  Granted with only 9 defense it wont stop them for long, but it slows it down so they have to waste a turn killing your objective, while you?re busy killing their units in the contested zone (CZ).  Great card.  Not so great against :armor:, but fantastic against all else.  A super sweet combo is to use  Echo Base (or multiple copies) to protect your Imperial Blockade.  Blockade is harder to find, but still relatively cheap if found on ebay or strikezone online <$5

Clone Wars
The objectives in Clone Wars, while on the whole weaker than previous sets, still introduced more options and provided a solid, yet unique and original basis for this new expansion as a way to ?introduce? new players to the core gameplay concepts.   
Thwarted Plans ? The best new defensive card since Dagobah Swamp in the base set.  Instantly stops all swarms.  Better than Swamp (IMO) against swarms as it is not limited to five stars.  Perhaps less versatile than swamp?but still a great addition.  3x Thwarted Plans and 3x Dagobah Swamp provides a nearly unstoppable defensive force.  Hard to find, but cheap when you do find it for some reason.  Has been increasing in value steadily however.  Currently I?d rate it about $4
Kidnapped Huttlet ? Simply a phenomenal objective.  Solid defensive combo in conjunction with high defense cards like Yoda or Death Star Exhaust port.  Sure it doesn?t give you a great positive bonus, but the fact that you don?t lose an objective slot when it?s destroyed makes it perhaps the best objective to have out when the pressure is on.  Another card that simply gives you an extra turn to make something happen in your favor.  Very hard to find, likely because it?s the only foil objective (like O66 Yoda).  Expect to shell out up to $5-8 for one of these.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:11:26 AM by Rogue4 »

Always let the wookiee win!

Offline Rogue4

• Jedi Knight
    • Holotable - SWCCG
Re: Preferred Objective Tactics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »
Tier 2 Objectives

Time for the second installment.  This will encompass a lot of good objectives that should see a lot of play in many different decks, and which are also much easier to find.

Base Set
Rebel Base ? I consider this one a little old school.  +2 to objective striking was huge (at least before the ground unit bonus).  Almost every swarm I saw prior to O66 ran this card.  Nevertheless, the defense 9 and one star of reserves was a huge drawback.  A lot of the +1 strike/attack cards seem to be edging this card out recently simply for the higher defense values and the ability to use the attack bonus in battles too.  I still include this in Tier 2 because it makes almost any opposing unit in your home zone an immediate threat.  I remember when most games consisted of 3x swamp and 3x Rebel base, and it was just a matter of who got the advantage fastest.  Kashyyyk Beachhead is a solid counter.  Still a very underrated card.  Super-easy to find now.  $0.40
Coruscant Industrial Zone ? CIZ is very very close to making it into Tier 1.  As a mainstay of Swarms, it was defiantly one of the top objectives in the game with the release of BS and even saw widespread play on into GA.  While it is still a great card, it?s use is much more limited nowadays?most likely to an increase in new decktypes rather than decrease in the prevalence of :star: and :star: :star: swarms.  I think that Porp can provide the best endorsement: 

To me, this card is indispensable in a swarm, and is one of the few cards that can allow pulling out a capital ship from reserves.

First, you get a :star: unit just for playing an objective. With two these out, that's two :star: units. With three out, you get THREE :star: units out of reserves. This was huge even before forward objectives where you had to replace one to get the three. Now with FO's, you can pull three :star: units out multiple times. These are units you get free before you even do an action so they can be used that turn.

Second, if you have one out and play Death Star Hangar, you get one :star: and two more stars. Two, and that's two :star: and two more stars. Three out, and that's three :star: and two more stars. That's up to five units out of reserves just for playing an objective, which you can then use on that turn.

Third, should you happen to have one out and it gets destroyed, that's up to a :star: :star: :star: unit
 (or three :star:) from reserves. Two out, and that's :star: :star: :star: :star: . Three out, and you can bring back a Devastator or other high end capital if you're using one.

In combination with MMP, I have frequently emptied my reserves into play. I rate those two cards higher than Dagobah since a swarm is strongest in its own home zone anyways so I don't care if you send my units there.

The swarm I use has roughly a 98% win record (it's lost only 2 games out of approximately 100). It utilizes 3x CIZ, 3x MMP, 3x DSH, and 3x DST (which I'm considering replacing with a FO like Hyperspace Array or Relentless Engagement) in a 36 card deck. Because I'm battling as often as I can, I'm going through cards quite fast, and because I'm playing an objective every turn, I almost never get objective locked. Give it a try; I think you'll find it quite potent.

Easy to find. Might run as much as $0.75  I forgot to mention originally that CIZ works (granting a :star: unit in HZ from reserves) when forward objectives are destroyed as well as with a destroyed Kidnapped Hutlett, both of which would normally grant no reserves--making for some interesting new tactics. 
Death Star Exhaust Port ? This is a card whose play value has increased exponentially with the last few sets.  With the introduction of a couple more super-high defense objectives, this card has really started to shine.  Combine with cards like Kidnapped Huttlet (force opponent to waste a strike on an objective slot that can?t be destroyed) and Jabba?s Palace (force opponent to attack the highest defense {=15} objective in the game ) to really put a stop on objective-destroying obsessed opponents.  I really love this card.  Unfortunately, it?s probably one of the 5 hardest-to-find cards out there and is easily one of the most expensive.  Trade value is hovering around $10 right now.  It would be great if this were introduced in a starter theme deck someday similar to MMP. 

Ground Assault
Endor Command Post ? Ooh, I like this one too.  ?Destroy a unit and draw a card, then discard a card.?  The best thing about this cycling objective is that you get to see the card you draw before you discard anything.  Ever used Theed Royal Palace only to get a worse card?  Well that won?t happen with ECP.  Another useful trick is to notice that this is not limited to destroying opponent?s units.  (i.e use acceptable loss to draw one for your sacrificial unit, and a second draw for the unit you?re killing.) Sweet, huh?  Boba Fett makes this baby really sing.  Check out my Imperial War Machine 2.0 build for a more detailed analysis.  Easy to find; $0.75 at most.
Ewok Village ? Another solid card.  Finally a card to remove damage easily.  Now those units with 3+ shields are finally able to survive longer!  This (and the Luminaria Objective as well) is key for big units, as they need to stay alive at all costs, since there are relatively few effective and reliable ways to bring back the larger units.  Easy to find; $0.75 at most.
Echo Base Hangar Bay ? This card has become a lot better than when it was introduced due it?s new interaction with Battle of Yavin.  Just having those two cards out now gives you the option of effectively battling with up to 12 :star: of units!!! Multiple copies of either really make :star: :star: :star: units shine like justice.  It?s a rare, but a common one due to it?s inclusion in the hoth tin.  Probably will set you back less than $2 at most.
Hoth Snowfield ? Ahh, this is one powerfully underrated card.  I think a lot of people realize how powerful it is (as it?s hard to find in a trade or for sale), but I still don?t see it getting as much play as it deserves.  Giving all units a cumulative +2 defense in opponent?s home zone can really make it a frustrating day for player defending their objectives.  There are a few cards that really have great synergy with this, like 4-Lom?an absolutely sick combo.  Nobody gets hit, you deal damage anyway?how can you beat that? :)  Like I said, this is a hard card to find; probably around $6-7

Order 66
Aayla Secura ? A cumulative +1 defense for Jedi units.  How can that not be good?  Consider that there are 5 defense 11 jedi units and 6 defense 10, a trio of Aayla Secura objectives makes them a nearly indestructible force.  The only reason this wouldn?t be Tier 1 is because of the prevalence of instant damage cards like Dengar, Acceptable Loss, and Boba Fett.  There are only 4 jedi units with 3 shields, and they pretty low defense to start with?  Nevertheless, a solid jedi deck could be built around a combination of the Aayla and perhaps Yoda objectives.  This is a tough card to find, but $4-5 should nab you one. 

Scum & Villainy
Jabba's Palace ? See Death Star Exhaust Port above.  Moderately easy to find $3 or less. 
Death Star Tractor Beam ? This is a neat card.  It really takes some strategy to take advantage of this guy, but with a little creativity, you can really catch your opponent off guard.  With this card you get to move a :star:, :star: :star:, or :star: :star: :star: opposing unit whenever you take a move action.  Not too bad by itself, but when combined with Ki-Adi-Mundi it begins to show some potential, allowing you to attack and still move an opposing unit (or just move two of their units).  Multiple copies on table make for some interesting games allowing you to practically select what units come into your HZ.  By far the most creative strategy involves  both of the aforementioned cards in conjunction with the all-powerful Imperial Blockade.  Imagine the following scenario:  You have 2x Death Star Tractor beams in your HZ, and an Imperial blockade in the CZ and then you play a Ki-Adi mundi from hand in your 3rd objective slot.  You can effectively move up to 4 opposing units from the CZ into your HZ causing 1 damage to each (and destroying them assuming they have only 1 shield left), in addition to taking a double move this turn (i.e. moving 5 :star: of units two zones, or 10 :star: one zone).  Fantastic!  Confused?  Astounded? Your opponent will likely be even more so!  Makes for a fun (or frustrating) game.  Moderate difficulty to find this one, but when you do find one, it?s likely not as expensive.  $3-4
Obi-Wan Kenobi ? I like this one, but I wish it were just a tad stronger.  The auto-evasion for an Obi-Wan unit is great, but the -1 damage reduction isn?t as good as playing units with armor, as it simply does not persist after battle.  I find it better to play more offensive objectives and just use units with the armor icon.  The other drawback to this is that Veteran units lose their vet status when they flip, thus making this objective completely pointless for :star: and :star: :star: vet units.  3-star units can generally avoid flipping if they must, and 4-stars simply never flip, so it could potentially be good for those decks.  Hard to find, likely because it is a foil objective and there just aren?t many of those around.  Expect around $5 and possibly up to 9 if somebody is really trying to take advantage of the limited supply.

Clone Wars
Battle of Bothawui ? This is quite possibly the most underrated card from Clone Wars.  The potential for greatness is really there?using ground units to battle anything in the contested zone could be really quite strong (let alone the whole free movement of ANY ground unit?yes AT-AT?s I mean you!).  If you can come up with something good, please let the rest of us know.  Otherwise, try out Commander Cody and Obi-Wan Kenobi ?.might make for an interesting combo for Jedi Tanks to wreak some havoc in the CZ.  This card is impossible to find for some reason.  I wouldn?t think it?s valued incredibly high, but since I have never seen one be sold (or for sale) I really can?t comment on what it would be worth at this point. 
Orders: Strategic Advance ? Ahh, one of my favorite objectives from Clone Wars?  This card has the potential to really be a game-changer.  I?d combine it with a deck with fast turnover of objectives, i.e. Boss Nass is a must.  My personal favorite is using with Coruscant Industrial Zone, where you play an objective (or forward objective), drop a unit from reserves and then move it into CZ.  Other must haves:  Support Ship, Death Star Hanger, or even Kamino Cloning Facility. I love this card in a swarm for some reason.  Not nearly as good as Ki-Adi Mundi, but still has potential for bringing the hurt.  Fortunately, it is substantially easier to get ahold of than Ki-adi mundi, as it comes in each of the Clone wars starters.  Practically everyone has these guys lying around.  Cheaper than air. Trade for it if you want more; but chances are you?ve already got a couple copies from the starters.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:06:39 AM by Rogue4 »

Offline Rogue4

• Jedi Knight
    • Holotable - SWCCG
Re: Preferred Objective Tactics
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »
Tier 3 Objectives

Offline Rogue4