Author Topic: Limited Ads added to the Site  (Read 3064 times)

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • Force: 89
  • So be it.
    • Star Wars Pocketmodels Community
Limited Ads added to the Site
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that we are placing minimal ads on the site in hopes of generating some income to upgrade servers, etc.  I hate doing it, but it seems like the best way.  We are up to getting ~10,000 page views a day now, and we feel that it is only a matter of time before we need to upgrade to some beefier hardware.  If you have any comments about what you think about the ads, let us know.

There is one banner length Google Adsense ad that will appear on each forum page, and we are working on a single ad to be placed on the main site pages as well.

Let us know what you think.
Admin

Offline ncbarrett

• Jedi
  • Force: 10
  • "Maybe we're all insane" - Broken Iris
    • Ebay ID
Re: Limited Ads added to the Site
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:18:25 PM »
I didnt even notice the ad... ;D
it doesnt bother me if it helps you keep the site running as great as it is....
"Well, don't look at me, pal. I just said you were a fair pilot. I didn't know they were lookin' for somebody to lead this crazy attack."
Han Solo
Return of the Jedi

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Force: 67
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:21:45 PM »
Banner adds are not a problem.  Popups are a problem.  Popups and those stupid adds that move across the page to block one's view of things.

Do we need to click these banners?  Or is just having them on the site enough?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:30:32 PM by _J_ »

For help and links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »
Banner adds are not a problem.  Popups are a problem.  Popups and those stupid adds that move across the page to block one's view of things.

Do we need to click these banners?  Or is just having them on the site enough?

I agree. I can live with banners (even those rediculous "flash game" ones) but those irritating sliding ones and/or pop-ups... well, I hate those enough it would conciderably decrease my visiting. Seriously, I love this site and I'm here for long periods of time every day... but I hate those types of adds that much.

And as J asked, do we gotta clickie them? I don't mind helping with occasional clickies as long as it helps (and not a "unique" hits kind of thing... but even then I'll visit once. :))

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • So be it.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
We will most certainly never have popup, sliding, flash, or other annoying ads.  The only ads I'm ok with right now are the google adsense ads. 

As for clicking on them, I am not allowed to tell people to click on them (as per the EULA from google adsense).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:25:35 PM by mattyh »
Admin

Offline ncbarrett

• Jedi
  • Force: 10
  • "Maybe we're all insane" - Broken Iris
    • Ebay ID
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 01:32:27 PM »
......As for clicking on them, I am not allowed to tell people to click on them (as per the EULA from google adsense).

But you are going to use the force to make us arent you?

i...
cant...
resist...
clicking....
on...
it....
"Well, don't look at me, pal. I just said you were a fair pilot. I didn't know they were lookin' for somebody to lead this crazy attack."
Han Solo
Return of the Jedi

Offline stlnprfln

• Development Group
  • Force: 56
  • Woo Woo Woo... You Know It.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 01:32:38 PM »
Do what you gotta do to keep this site going strong I say. My pop up blocker will kill them all anyway. Just don't get any from a shady type place. Those are the ones that ate my last PC. Also if we can keep ads away by DONATING I would not be against that idea. I want Diamond level status though without the Diamond level prices. ;D

2013 SWPM WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!!

I made the 12 hour drive. I showed up to the tournament. I was undefeated. Prove me wrong!!!

Offline Treschonde

• Jedi Knight
  • Force: 85
  • Lead Designer/Coder
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 01:42:27 PM »
Haha donations for access to the Collection/Fleet Manager Beta testing.
<a href="http://www.swpocketmodels.com/awesomebruce.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.swpocketmodels.com/awesomebruce.swf</a>

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • So be it.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »
yikes, that was a small problem.  I just noticed that google ads was picking up the keyword model and putting up ads for lingerie/nude models, etc.  I think I've stopped it for now...phew.

As for donations, I could put a Paypal link up or something, but I don't like the idea of special features for members who donate only, etc.  I'd rather stay away from that kind of stuff.
Admin

Offline stlnprfln

• Development Group
  • Force: 56
  • Woo Woo Woo... You Know It.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 01:51:53 PM »
Uh I was actually joking about that part. Sorry. Was only serious bout the donation part.  :'(

2013 SWPM WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!!

I made the 12 hour drive. I showed up to the tournament. I was undefeated. Prove me wrong!!!

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 02:08:30 PM »
yikes, that was a small problem.  I just noticed that google ads was picking up the keyword model and putting up ads for lingerie/nude models, etc.  I think I've stopped it for now...phew.

As for donations, I could put a Paypal link up or something, but I don't like the idea of special features for members who donate only, etc.  I'd rather stay away from that kind of stuff.

Star Wars and nekkid womens.... was too good to last.  :'(

But there is one question I have. It says you're not allowed to tell us to clickie the banners. It doesn't say you're not allowed to answer the question of it it will help you or not (not -how- it will help, just genericly if it will).... does it?

Edit: Oh yeah! and I meant to say that you don't have to have anything extra special for those that donate that will give functionality above normal users. What you could do, however, is add a Silver or Gold border around their Avatars, or give different color stars for their poster rank, or something that is purely cosmetic... and make them selectable so those that don't want to be identified as a donator can turn them off.

It's simple, easy (for the most part), and won't harbor animosity among the members for those that can't or won't donate. Those that donate feel like they get something special, and those that don't won't feel shafted.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:13:10 PM by Porpman »

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 03:01:38 PM »

You stopped that?  Well, obviously you do not want people to click them.

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »
It's simple, easy (for the most part), and won't harbor animosity among the members for those that can't or won't donate. Those that donate feel like they get something special, and those that don't won't feel shafted.

I only pay for things which will cause others to harbor animosity against me, though.

If this service ever does exist and I pay for it, will you harbor animosity against me, Porpman?  Please?

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »
Is there a way to change these banner adds so that they open in new windows/tabs?  I tried right clicking on the banner and it won't let me open it in a new tab.  So whenever I click on them I have to click through and then click back to come back to this site.

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • So be it.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 04:38:18 PM »
Is there a way to change these banner adds so that they open in new windows/tabs?  I tried right clicking on the banner and it won't let me open it in a new tab.  So whenever I click on them I have to click through and then click back to come back to this site.

I wish, but that is specifically against the EULA as well.  Pretty dumb, in my opinion, that they wouldn't allow that.
Admin