Author Topic: So You Say You Wanna Learn how to STRIKE!!!  (Read 1293 times)

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • Force: 34
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
So You Say You Wanna Learn how to STRIKE!!!
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »
I know there's some fresh recruits in here, so welcome to all of you and I hope you guys stick around.

I just wanted to offer a little voluntary tidbit for the new members in here.

As you know, one of the means by which you can win the game (and usually the swiftest option) is by Striking Objectives.

As such, I'm going to impart a strategy that might jump-start your game (provided you manage to acquire the necessary 'ingredients' as you collect units and cards).

So here goes, this is what I consider to be the most devastating Striking strategy (and the reason E_Lair should be quivering in his knickers if he brings his Laser build at me)

Enjoy...

:maul: STRIKING WITHOUT MERCY :maul:

First, I have to convey an important rule that you may not know:

When multiple objectives trigger at the same time on your turn, you get to choose the order in which they will trigger. Remember this!!! I'm not ashamed to admit that this crucial fact is something I didn't know even after playing for a while ( thanks Porp ).

Okay, you need the following cards for this tactic:

-Hyperspace Array (Forward Objective)
-Orders: Strategic Advance (Objective)
-Support Ship (Objective)
-Stass Allie (Objective)

3 copies of each of these cards in your deck is not a bad idea.

You also need to have at least one (preferrably three) Stass Allie's Jedi Fighter Tank units.  Make sure you keep one in your RESERVES!!!

Okay, so if you've got all of the above 'ingredients' you've got a recipe for doom.
Here's what ya do:

With at least one Stass Allie's Jedi Tank in your reserves, you need to try and get these key objectives in play. You'll have to get the game going and cards cycling, but it shouldn't take long to get these cards up.

Take any opportunity to strike opposing objectives and fend off enemy units while you get this combo set up... Here's the best order for playing objectives at the start of your turns:

First, get your Hyperspace Array into the Contested Zone (CZ)
Next, get your Stass Allie objective up in your home zone (HZ).
Third, get the Orders: Strategic Advance (O:SA) up in your home zone.

Now the stage is set.  You've got your Hyperspace Array in the CZ. You have Stass Allie and O:SA up in your HZ, with one slot remaining.  On your next turn, you will need to play the Support Ship objective in the final slot.  Now comes the pain...

The reason this is great is because this will work even if ALL your units are in your HZ and reserves (meaning you have no units in the CZ or the enemy home zone).

Remember how you get to choose the order your objectives are triggering? Good.

Okay, let's say you have no units in the CZ.  Well , you will need one in there in order for your Support Ship to trigger, right? So we will trigger Hyperspace Array first.

Place a ground unit into the Contested Zone.

Now you will declare Support Ship to trigger, pulling a single-star ground unit from your reserves, along with your Stass Allie's Tank...and put them into the Contested Zone.

At this point, your Stass Tank is now in the CZ. You will now trigger Orders:Strategic Advance, and select the Stass Tank for your free move.  You will of course move the Tank into the opposing Home Zone.  (NOTE: This is not a "Move Action" and will therefore Bypass Imperial Blockade).

Now that you have Stass in the opposing Home Zone, you will declare a strike on the objective of your choosing, and Discard the Stass Allie objective for the whopping +4 bonus on the strike attack. 

You are now striking an opposing objectives with a unit from reserves!!

Not only that, here's your breakdown on the stats:

Stass Allie's Tank - Base attack.......+3
Ground Unit Strike Bonus...............+1
Stass Allie Objective Bonus............+4

TOTAL BASE ATTACK FOR THIS STRIKE......+8 !!

This means any objective of 10 or lower won't even require you to roll.
11 or 12 defense stats (which are fairly common) will fall with a 3 or 4.

There you have it. Once again, we enforce the famous SWPM credo:
Rely on the dice as little as possible!!

HAVE FUN!

(PS: I'm TERRIBLE with Tooltips so if someone wants to help with that I'd be most appreciative. Thanks!)

-Gambitking

"There's plenty of youth in the world. What we need is a fountain of Smart".

Offline Toa-Hero-Lewa

• Padawan
  • Force: 6
Re: So You Say You Wanna Learn how to STRIKE!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:02:54 PM »
Wait, so you play support ship, and then move and then you trigger it? How does that work?!  ??? I have 3 of all these cards (with the exception of Hyperspace Array) so I want to use this, but I thought trigger objectives triggered when they were played...
There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't!

"Well, that's the end of our ship. Typical." -C-3P0

"When in doubt, C4." - Jamie Hyneman

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 04:37:59 PM »
Wait, so you play support ship, and then move and then you trigger it? How does that work?!  ??? I have 3 of all these cards (with the exception of Hyperspace Array) so I want to use this, but I thought trigger objectives triggered when they were played...

Okay, this is a good question to merit some clarification.

When you play the Support Ship Objective, you are triggering Hyperspace Array by playing an objective.  You are using Hyperspace Array to place a unit in the CZ (not 'moving' as though it were move action).

Then, once this unit is placed, you may trigger your Support Ship objective, as there is now a unit in the CZ to fulfill the card text criteria.

And no, as I mentioned...... the objectives do not trigger in any mechanical order relative to the order in which you actually played them.

YOU determine what order the objectives trigger whenver there are several that apply........ EVEN IF the objective you played on that turn is the last one you choose to activate. It's all up to you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:39:34 PM by gambitking »

Offline Toa-Hero-Lewa

• Padawan
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »
Ohhhh, I see. Thx for the classification!
There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't!

Offline Toa-Hero-Lewa

• Padawan
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
I just thought of something that might be worth noting, having 2 or 3 of these out and discarding them means +12 or even +16 attack :o

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:27:30 AM »
Well, you couldn't get it up to +16 attack just with Stass Allie objectives ,but with three Stass Allie's in play in the HZ, yes you could boost your attack up to +12, meaning the total attack value would be +16.  Sure to destroy any objective.

Offline Toa-Hero-Lewa

• Padawan
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 03:42:04 PM »
Yea, but I would only do it on my opponent's last objective, because otherwise you have 3 face down objectives after the strike, which leaves you really vulnerable.

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »
Actually, face-down objectives don't necessarily have to translate into vulnerability.

Observe:  If my deck consists of 30 cards, and I have included the following cards...

3 x Dagobah Swamp
3 x Thwarted Plans
3 x Death Star Exhaust Port

........This represents a 30% chance that my opponent won't even be able to strike
(provided he's using 1 or 2 star units which is more common)

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
  • Force: 55
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »

[...]
Not only that, here's your breakdown on the stats:

Stass Allie's Tank - Base attack.......+3
Ground Unit Strike Bonus...............+1
Stass Allie Objective Bonus............+4

TOTAL BASE ATTACK FOR THIS STRIKE......+8 !!
[...]

You know, I knew something was bothering me here...

Stass Allie's Jedi Fighter Tank has only +2 Attack.
With the Ground Unit and Discard Objective bonuses, that gives a total of +7: not +8.

Still a lot, though...;)