Author Topic: "The Force Unleashed" Custom Expansion - Previews discussion thread  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Gideon

• Jedi
  • Force: 8
  • The CCG Defender
Re: "The Force Unleashed" Custom Expansion - Previews discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 04:46:02 PM »
I just got started playing again and I am really excited!

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 138
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »
I just got started playing again and I am really excited!

Good to hear it, Gideon! + :force: for the return.

I have been swamped with summer projects, so things have simmered down a bit. However, now that I am done with those, I am looking forward to getting back on this CTFU project soon and having something to validate your excitement!

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
  • Force: 60
  • Let's Go Red Sox, Let's Go! (Insert Clapping Here)
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »
Welcome back gideon!

Offline Gideon

• Jedi
  • Force: 8
  • The CCG Defender
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
Thanks. I got hooked again when I decided to play SWPM to celebrate..... well.... Celebration 5!

Gideon

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
Good to hear!

Looking over the previews, I realized that I was a bit rushed in posting them. Therefore, I have corrected the errors that I found and the missing info that didn't get put in on the last preview (#3). The links have been fixed on everything, and I even suggested a really good combo in the preview for Juno's TIE Bomber. Enjoy!

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
Just an update on this project... Since CTFU has been put on hold and the SWPMTCG Online game project has come more into the forefront, CTFU now has a chance to be released as an online product.

What that means is that units and cards will be virtual and would be printable for those who wanted to supplement their collection.

What does this mean for styrene units? Well, obviously, not everyone has a 3D printer (the one that my university has is not really something I can play around with... hm, maybe), so printing styrene units is not going to be the method of choice for distributing. However, for creatures, ships, and vehicles that share die cuts as existing styrene units, a simple base plate can suffice as a slip cover.

New units that are not based on existing units will remain virtual, unless someone wants to carve them out of styrene themselves. That is why, for the hobbyist, full units sheets will be available for download. All units will eventually be available to SWPMTCG Online Tournament winners as custom expansion sets that will shipped to the address provided to the tournament administrators at the time of registration.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:00:37 PM by gethralkin »

Offline ding73ding

• Recruit
  • Force: 2
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 04:11:52 AM »
What does this mean for styrene units? Well, obviously, not everyone has a 3D printer (the one that my university has is not really something I can play around with... hm, maybe), so printing styrene units is not going to be the method of choice for distributing.

I have access to various prototyping machines in our Univ.  I am not really trained in mechanical engineering, but enough to make some mischieves  ;D.  It does cost money to use these machines, but I bet it's a lot cheap than your univ. 

There are a few things to consider:
1. It's much more sensible (and should look better) to create 3D models, instead of making  styrene cards, then construct them like SWPM. 
2. I can't offer a painted or printed model, it will have the shape but not the graphics. 
3. It's not going to be highly detailed like Heroclix, SW Miniatures etc, think of them as glorified boardgame counters (Settlers of Catan, Risk)
4. To make the cost anywhere close to affordable, I suggest we use the prototyping machine (3D printers) make the master (or master mold) and cast copies off the mold.  That way we pay once for the service of the machine shop and then produce many copies (cost of cast/mold materials are not high). 

Come to think of it... maybe it's not so attractive... counters works fine for classic board games like Risk but for any SW game, visual enjoyment is very important... 

Sorry just thinking aloud here  :P

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 12:22:50 PM »
Just an update on the progress of the CTFU expansion. It has been some time since the last preview for the reason that all involved are actively busy with other RL pursuits (RL takes precedence). Even so, several of us are currently working on a project that will hopefully come out this summer. This project is a test bed for future expansions of the game, and the individuals working on it are experienced SWPM gamers with some even having been Promotional Envoys/Tournament Judges for WizKids' Organized Play program.

What this means is that the elements of the mini-expansion being worked on at this time will be playtested and tweaked to perfection. Seeing the outstanding suggestions that have been made in chat and through posts in relation to this project, I have no doubt that this (hopefully) summer's release well be well worth the wait.

After the summer target expansion finished, the team has a chance to use what we've learned to revisit the CTFU set and perfect it while keeping the elements that were contributed by you.

May the :force: be with you!