Author Topic: Tron  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
  • Force: 60
  • Let's Go Red Sox, Let's Go! (Insert Clapping Here)
    • The Boston Red Sox
Tron
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »
Anyone here a Tron fan?

I was excited by the new one, so yesterday I watched both Tron and Tron Legacy. I loved them both, but actually preferred the new one. And the new one had a pretty funny Star Wars reference where Sam Flynn mistakes a piece of technology as a lightsaber  ;D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:52:03 AM by gethralkin »

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
  • Force: 55
Re: Tron
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
Yep - big Tron fan from way back.

That film was so ahead of its time - indeed, possibly too far ahead. The Oscar Academy actually disqualified it from the "Best Special Effects" category because they thought the filmakers had "cheated" - basically, they didn't have a clue how computer animation worked...

Been looking forward to Tron Legacy for ages, but won't see it till the Christmas Holidays: I've got tickets booked for an IMAX!  8)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:04:57 PM by E_Lair »

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:32:41 AM »
Wow, I didn't know it was disqualified. That's interesting to know. I really wish Disney wasn't so stupid to not release it because of the "Bad Special Effects".n Not sure if you heard about that, but Disney was going to release a Blu Ray about a month ago, but delayed it because they think that people will watch that and not want to see the new one. I had to watch it on a friend's DVD and then on youtube. I hope you enjoy Legacy as much as I did! I can't wait to buy both films on Blu Ray!

Also, did you hear about the upcoming 10 episode animated series Tron Uprising?

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »
I haven't got into Blu-Ray yet, so that didn't really affect me. I don't personally see the point in "upgrading" from DVD at the moment, because the rest of my TV setup is comparatively poor and I'd therefore barely notice the improvement.
For Tron, I've still got the 20th Anniversary 2-disc DVD.

"Tron Uprising": Thanks for mentioning this. I wasn't fully aware of Disney's plans (although it doesn't surprise me that much). Not sure what I think of it at the moment: will be interesting to see how it develops.

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »
I believe that Legacy will be used to bridge the gap between the two movies, but don't quote me on that. And if this one makes enough money, then Disney wants Legacy to be the beginning of a new trilogy.

And its not that I'm disappointed by lack of Blu Ray, but more by lack of allowing it to  be sold in general. Disney made all stores pull it off their shelves in fear that it would hurt sales of the new film. The only way to really get it now is on ebay for anywhere fro  $40 to $80. That's why I'm waiting for the new Blu Ray.

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
Just looked a bit more into this issue of the blu ray release: I see that in remastering the film, the director has apparently made some "changes" - oh dear... :(

I've also seen the comments about Disney being woried that new audiences might be put off by the dated effects on Tron. Well, maybe; but you have to remember that Disney has always been very protective of it's films with regards video/DVD/Blu Ray releases. Releases of old films are usually only for very limited periods; a good example being Pinocchio. By the time the 70th Anniversary release finally came out, the film hadn't been available for many years, meaning that the few copies of the previous release still available were going for a small fortune.
I'm not defending Disney's behaviour - quite the opposite in fact - but they do have form on this...

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »
True...And if there are "changes" I hope that they aren't added scenes in the style of George Lucas, but maybe actual deleted scenes. Plus, I hope they include the option to choose which version you would like to watch.

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »
Tron 3 news:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48194

Look at the second picture, they even put popcorn on the desk! :)

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
Did anyone pick up the movies this week? I got them both on Blu Ray, and love them! Legacy has so many cool Star Wars references.

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
First episode of the show is out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjbwVzJR8w4

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:37 PM »
Play the original Tron game (without having to constantly keep feeding it quarters). Starts out with the original looking levels, but upgraded levels are unlocked the further along you get.

http://disney.go.com/disneyxd/games/cds/classic-tron-2003865