Author Topic: Firefly/Serenity  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
  • Force: 60
  • Let's Go Red Sox, Let's Go! (Insert Clapping Here)
    • The Boston Red Sox
Firefly/Serenity
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
How many Firefly fans are there over here? I have been watching the TV series (only have one episode left) and will then watch Serenity. Really great stuff. One of only three TV shows I have ever really liked. I can't wait to see how it ends (despite accidentally reading who dies online :'( ). I'm sad that, after watching the movie, there will be no more of the series, though.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:44:52 AM by gethralkin »

Offline yodafett04

• Jedi
  • Force: 10
  • "Respect the past, Affect the future."-Spirit Wing
Re: Firefly/Serenity
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:11:48 PM »
Absolutely love that show. I think I still have to watch the last two episodes of the series- I should get on that sometime soon.

-"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"-Wash-Serenity

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
I watched the last episode. Great again. The second to last, Heart of Gold, was probably my least favorite in the series (It wasn't bad, but there is some tough competition). My favorite episode was Out of Gas.

I can't wait to see Serenity now!

Offline slightlyiffy

• Development Group
  • Force: 56
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:28:46 AM »

Love that show & the film wasn't bad either - I watched it back in the day & was disappointed that it was cancelled, then it was good news that the film was being made to "finish off" the story - Wash is still an all time top character !!!!

So a couple of years ago I got my hands on a box-set & the movie on DVD & introduced The Wife to them & she loved them too !!!  Happy  Days :)

I've heard a rumour that with the success of Nathan Fillions TV detective series that he's interested in buying the "idea" back with the plan of making more/again [can anyone else shed any light on this ??]

............. "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

:fett:  Trades here for my 10 11 12 13 14 15 year old's battle fleets  :maul:

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 01:42:59 PM »
Well, its really just speculation, but he did say that he would love to buy the rights and release the series online. He, Joss Whedon, and the rest of the cast really miss being on the show.

I'm actually about to go watch Serenity now! See ya, guys! :D

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:02:32 PM »
Since my last post in this topic, I am almost done with my second watch through of Firefly. Only three episodes and the movie and I will see everything twice.

Man, I really can not recommend this show enough. Star wars fans may find it odd at first, but it grows on you very quickly. Trust me.

Once I finish up the series for the second time, I will be watching the commentaries! :D

Offline Darthpopeye

• Recruit
  • Force: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »
Yes The good syfy shows last only a season or 3 and then they are gone even if there is a following the likes that Star Trek had or StarGate.  The the shows today just don't get the respect like they used to.   
 Besides Serenity, I enjoyed Space 1999, Space Above and Beyond,  and show that came on in the Seventies called Space Ark.
Now this season of Dr Who is turning out to be a major Disappointment.  The show Ideas are good, But the storyline is getting Flat and un-exciting as compared to  2008-2009 season. >:(
Success of the mission is paramount and Failure IS NOT an option

Offline ender4449

• Jedi Knight
  • Force: 22
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:10 AM »
At least we still have Eureka. So many other good shows.... what a shame.
"Fix it 'till it breaks" -^^

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:08:10 AM »
Yep. SyFy even got rid of my favorite TV show, Tremors.

Thankfully, Firefly was able to wrap up some plot points with Serenity, but it would have been much better if that stuff was spread out over a second season instead of squished in a two hour movie.

Offline GaryL

• Master's Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »
Totally Firefly was amazing from the first to last watch.

I loved Jaynestown "The hero of Canton the man they call Jayne... "

Serenity was great movie "She is startin' to damage my calm."

Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Mal: Define "interesting".
Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Brilliant

Joss Whedon and J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5) are two writers worth following.
[img width= height=]http://www.gd3-design.co.uk/StarWarsTCG/Images/WSTitle.jpg[/img]
My web site: www.gd3-design.co.uk/StarWarsTCG/ My trade list: Click Here

Offline ding73ding

• Recruit
  • Force: 2
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 02:39:23 AM »
Ahh just watched Serenity with the family.  Great movie.  I had only been vaguely aware of Firefly before and deliberately I didn't read up any on the TV show before watching the movie. 

Still enjoyed it very much.  It was self-contained, action-packed AND smart (a difficult combo). 

I have stopped watching Scifi about the time it changed its name.  So even when there was some positive noise about a show Firefly I never bothered to tune in.  Partly because of cancellation crap.  Nowadays I think the writers and execs are gaming each other with us the audience the collateral damage.  Writers have to work in intricate plots and cliffhangers trying to protect their jobs instead of making a good story.  Execs are even worse, they are destroying all creativity. 

As far as I'm concerned, Syfy is as exciting as Golf or H&G. 

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 07:06:37 AM »

Or rehearsed wrestling...

Offline ender4449

• Jedi Knight
  • Force: 22
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 10:13:40 PM »

Or rehearsed wrestling...

........oh wait that's all it is any more. Yep not even Eureka survived. Really I think the fans should try and get a new network and take it back to SCIFI, heck I think most would be pleased with just reruns of BSG, B5, Caprica, Firefly, and Eureka. Although Eureka would be tough since Alphas and Warehouse 13 are still running.
"Fix it 'till it breaks" -^^

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
WHHAAAATTTT????!!!!!!

EUReKA was only one a a couple of shows that I bothered turning to that channel to watch anymore. Looks like Alphas will also be on its way out to make more room for ghost shows and "rastling" as I recall one person called it. Will Wheaton, who was to be a recurring character on EUReKA, calls the channel "the network formerly known as Sci-Fi."

http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2011/08/saying-goodbye-to-eureka.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:01:44 PM by gethralkin »

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
Ahh just watched Serenity with the family.  Great movie.  I had only been vaguely aware of Firefly before and deliberately I didn't read up any on the TV show before watching the movie. 

Still enjoyed it very much.  It was self-contained, action-packed AND smart (a difficult combo). 

I have stopped watching Scifi about the time it changed its name.  So even when there was some positive noise about a show Firefly I never bothered to tune in.  Partly because of cancellation crap.  Nowadays I think the writers and execs are gaming each other with us the audience the collateral damage.  Writers have to work in intricate plots and cliffhangers trying to protect their jobs instead of making a good story.  Execs are even worse, they are destroying all creativity. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Serenity makes an excellent self contained story, and an even better continuation for the series. I loved it because it was very smart (especially when it comes to the villain. The Operative was one of the best villain's I've ever seen in a film). The characters were all very likable (especially if you saw the series first), and most importantly, it had a great story.

Do you plan on checking out Firefly now? The western theme that was present in the movie is there even more in the show (you often see characters on some of the planets riding horses, lots of bar fights, the dress style and clothing, etc.) You get to see more of the nine great characters from the movie, and learn a lot more about them than you could in a two hour film. Unfortunately, the series was canceled in the middle of its first season, after being played out of order and at horrible times, so no one really heard of it until after it came out on DVD, which is when it became popular and what resulted in them making the movie. Just one thing, though... the TV series is a bit less family friendly than the movie in a few certain aspects.