Author Topic: Firefly/Serenity  (Read 4221 times)

Offline ding73ding

• Recruit
  • Force: 2
Re: Firefly/Serenity
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
Really I think the fans should try and get a new network and take it back to SCIFI, heck I think most would be pleased with just reruns ...

<rant=on>

The way "free" market operates, that will remain nothing more than a dream.  It's not just Syfy execs are stupid.  MTV is hardly about music, less than half of ESPN is sport (since I DON'T consider poker, and anything that guzzle gas and spill smoke as sport), CNN, FOXNews and MSNBC are horror stories of journalism.  It's entirely about selling eyeballs to advertisers, then well it seems scripted wrestling is more successful than Issac Asimov.  

When I first moved to the US in '04, there was this excellent channel called (I think) TechTV.  It was pretty close what the name suggested, the channel was about tech and geeks.  It filled a good gap between Science, Discovery, NatGeo etc (yeah Discovery in the US was pretty crappy and getting crappier).  Then money swooped in destroyed it.  G4 acquired TechTV and it went the same process, all the tech stuffs almost disappeared immediately, what's left is a lil' bit of gaming and a lot of "Accees Hollywood for Nerds".  

In the country that has the most high tech in the world, and the most number of niche channels in the world, how come you can't sustain a decent tech-oriented channel and a scifi/fantasy channel?  Oh well there's always the Internet.  Which is more (compared to US network/cable TV) accessible from China anyway.  

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
  • Force: 60
  • Let's Go Red Sox, Let's Go! (Insert Clapping Here)
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »
So I've been rewatching the series again, and just finished up episode 8 Out of Gas. Words can not express my love for this episode. It is quite possible the best thing I have ever seen on television (it takes a lot to get me to watch TV. IN my whole life, the only shows I've truly loved were Tremors, Firefly, and The Walking Dead).

But wow, Out of Gas is amazing. Truly amazing.

Offline ding73ding

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 03:35:52 AM »
Do you plan on checking out Firefly now? The western theme that was present in the movie is there even more in the show

I am not sure I will like the episodic series as much as the film, especially I've already watched the ending.  Reading the wiki, I get that there's a "style" that a lot fans really love but in terms of substance, I am pretty content with the film, and even worry that Firefly may ruin it for me.  (e.g. if I see more zombies/reavers I may disavow the whole thing!  Com'on crazed cannibals roaming in space?)  Serenity was short enough that I don't need to overthink it. 

The whole idea of space western is not very attractive to me.  I grew up in a crowded city (Hong Kong) and while I think I understand the concept of "westerns" I can't really connect or "get it in the guts".  As for horseback riding and animal husbandry in SciFi, YIKES!!  SW 4-6 already took beasts of burden in SF to the limit and beyond.  Com'on why leave the Snowspeeders in the hangers and send out human patrols on Tauntaun?  Who oddly aren't even as hardy as humans in a snow storm.  Later we saw in the prequel STAP would be perfect for the "foot" patrol role on Hoth.  Then in prequel the animal warfare went absolutely nuts.  A bunch of aquatic fisheaters riding herbivore beasts of burden fight an army of battle droids.  Yikes.   Sorry that's another rant... may be horse riding in a space opera could work... since I haven't seen it, I shouldn't knock it.

For any cowboy/western in space, I think Cowboy Bebop did a great job.  Or Blade Runner... That's another kind of future Western...

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
I would still certainly recommended Firefly. I've heard from a lot of people who saw the movie first that they went back, loved the show, and when they watched the movie again they loved it even more the second time.

And don't let the western thing turn you off. I'm not really big on westerns, either, and I loved it. Plus, it probably helps being a Star Wars fan, because the whole show gives off that Han Solo-vibe. :)

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 12:03:48 AM »
I am not sure I will like the episodic series as much as the film, especially I've already watched the ending.  Reading the wiki, I get that there's a "style" that a lot fans really love but in terms of substance, I am pretty content with the film, and even worry that Firefly may ruin it for me.  (e.g. if I see more zombies/reavers I may disavow the whole thing!  Com'on crazed cannibals roaming in space?)  Serenity was short enough that I don't need to overthink it.
Well, you needn't worry about that. Aside from a brief mention and a short cameo, reavers oddly enough didn't show up much at all in the series. And as far as the cowboys in space idea, it's more of a theme along the lines of "the galaxy has more advanced civilizations and poverty stricken ones." It really is very well developed and the producer spent so much money in getting the special effects to be on par with the character development.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:02:54 PM by gethralkin »

Offline ding73ding

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 04:42:24 AM »
Indeed, I would be very concerned if it's a Western transplanted into future/space.  And it's Westerns fans not scifi fans supporting the show.  Just like JAG is a lawyer show not a navy show. 

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »
It should be pointed out that it wasn't SyFy that was responsible for Firefly and its cancellation... it was Fox. When the series initially aired on Fox, they played the first episode as the pilot, which was the first big problem as the story had already been developing. Then Fox proceeded to play the the rest of the series out of order. For example, the episode where Saffron helped to steal the laser gun was played before the episode where she was introduced by being married to Mal; imagine the confusion that caused among viewers of the fledgling series, not to mention the pilot being played half way through as a new episode.

Such behavior by Fox sabotaged the series and as it turns out, this was intentional; they were apparently trying to spite Joss Wheadon with whom they were having a dispute, and directly caused the ratings to be less than stellar. Naming the low ratings (that they had caused) as the reason, Fox canceled the series mid-season. SyFy now has permission to air it after the fact.

Serenity was Joss's way of not only bringing closure to the series, but making it near impossible to revive the series (in case Fox tried to do so) by killing off key characters. The only way the series could continue now, as it was originally, is if they followed in the tracks of Highlander and ignore the fact that the movie even exists entirely (ala Highlander 2).

The unfortunate truth is that Fox will never relinquish the rights to Firefly because despite all of the problems the series encountered it was a rock solid show, entertaining from the very beginning. It now has a loyal enough following that the property is too valuable for Fox to give it up, plus they have an axe to grind against Wheadon. I imagine after enough time has run that Joss can no longer have any claim to the copyrights (as the creator/writer/director/etc) that Fox will attempt to revive the series with a different creator/cast/writers/etc., which of course will flop horribly without Wheadon's genius behind it.

And it all sucks badly. I love Firefly and Serenity, and would LOVE to see it revived. It is unfortunate that it would take a miracle to make that happen. :(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:17:51 PM by Porpman »

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
So yeah, I just ordered this ;D Can't wait to read it!

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
Cool. Should be a good read if Whedon was involved in the story development. It looks like he tried to fill in the gaps for us, but it would have been great to see these as episodes.

I love the Big Bang Theory reference to Firefly when Sheldon gets Leonard to agree to keep the TV set tuned to watch the show in their roommate contract. Leonard asks why and Sheldon says something like that it'll be on for years, so they might as well get it settled then.

Offline yodafett04

• Jedi
  • Force: 10
  • "Respect the past, Affect the future."-Spirit Wing
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
It's good stuff. My sister got it for me for my birthday back in May and I really liked it.

-"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"-Wash-Serenity

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
Serenity: Those Left Behind came in today.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I wouldn't call it amazing (especially when compared to the series and movie), and I felt it suffered from some pacing issues (the ending, in particular; too much seemed to happen in too few panels) but otherwise it was a very enjoyable read. It was great being back on the ship seeing more of these characters, and it filled in a few gaps between the series and the movie that were left open, which is always a good thing. While I wasn't blown away by it, I was intrigued enough to check out Better Days, The Shepherd's Tale, and the various one-shots (I already read the online exclusive one, which I enjoyed, too).

Nathan Fillion's introduction was pretty cool as well. And all the stuff in the back of the book looks very interesting. I can't wait to read all of that. Hopefully I have time to check that stuff out tomorrow.

Also, not sure if you guys know this, but on Free Comic Book Day (first Saturday in May) one of Dark Horse's books will be a double sided comic with Star Wars on one side, Serenity on the other, with both stories written by Joss Whedon's brother. Should be a very awesome read.

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 06:28:01 PM »
Also, not sure if you guys know this, but on Free Comic Book Day (first Saturday in May) one of Dark Horse's books will be a double sided comic with Star Wars on one side, Serenity on the other, with both stories written by Joss Whedon's brother. Should be a very awesome read.

Awesome! Keep us informed.

Also, do you have a link to the exclusive Firefly web comic?

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »

Awesome! Keep us informed.

Also, do you have a link to the exclusive Firefly web comic?

Here's the web comic: Serenity: Downtime (this story is also in the hardcover collection of Serenity: Better Days, which I plan on buying eventually).
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2010-11-08-serenity08_ST_N.htm

And here's Free Comic Book Day's website, and some info on the Serenity/Star Wars flip book.
http://www.freecomicbookday.com/
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36006

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »
Thanks, that's great! The snow day is so apt for us in our area. My son has had to miss school on more than one occasion this year to snow. I'll have to show him Downtime, since he also happens to like pretending that our house is a spaceship. He is definitely a science fiction fan and has seen Firefly and Serenity a few times (we do skip the intense stuff).

Offline Model Master

• One With the Force
    • The Boston Red Sox
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »
Just found the second web comic, The Other Half, online as well. Really cool short story, and gives some hints as to why mal wanted River on the job at the beginning of the movie.
http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/158/serenity-other-half

The two online stories that I posted, as well as an actual comic called Float Out, are collected in the back of the hardcover version of Better Days. I tihnk I want to pick up Better Days now, and really soon :) Then, I'll have to get The Shepherd's Tale.