Author Topic: Mace Windu Objective Clarification  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Therion

• Recruit
  • Force: 3
Mace Windu Objective Clarification
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:35:53 PM »
Yesterday a question came up about the Mace Windu objective; when it's struck, does the one unit limitation apply only to the objective, or does it apply to the entire strike action?

The card:
[c]o039[/c]

An example might make the question more clear:

Say I've got three objectives face up, two copies of the Mace Windu objective, and one other...how about Death Star Hanger. Now, my opponent has five :star: units in my home zone; if he launches a strike action, can he strike each Mace Windu objective with one unit and Death Star Hanger with the other three? Or is he limited to striking Death Star Hanger with all five, or a single Mace Windu objective with a single unit?

I've always assumed that if you struck a Mace Windu, you could only use one unit for the entire strike action. Was I wrong?

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
  • Force: 55
Re: Mace Windu Objective Clarification
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
I've always assumed that if you struck a Mace Windu, you could only use one unit for the entire strike action. Was I wrong?

That's how I would read it too.

The definition of a Strike Action (from the CW Rulebook) is:
"Choose up to 5 build stars of your units to attack a single opposing objective." (my emphasis)

There's nothing in the wording of "Mace Windu" to suggest it reverses this restriction on only attacking one objective:
"An opponent striking this objective may choose only one unit to strike." (my emphasis again)
It could be argued that the wording's unclear, but I think it's pretty implicit that they mean "An opponent may choose only one unit to strike this objective."
[Further in the Rulebook, it also says: "You may not strike more than one objective per turn". Now that could be overridden by using multiple copies of CWT#055 "Asajj Ventress", but that would be during a Combat Action, not a Strike Action.]

So: if you choose to strike a "Mace Windu" Objective, you can only select one unit to do so (although there's no build star restriction, so you could use a :star::star::star::star::star: unit.)

Just to emphasise this further: consider the situation where all your objectives are face-down. Your opponent selects which objective to strike, and which units he'll use. Only then is the objective turned face-up. Are we suggesting that if it's "Mace Windu", then your opponent can change his Strike strategy? I don't think so!

Offline Therion

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »
Strange. Until now, I've never seen that rule.

Sorry, stupid question. I need to read the rules again, it seems.

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »
There are never any stupid questions. Just answers that were buried and forgotten with time. Don't worry, I have been doing this for years and even I forget some things.

+ :force: for joining up and jumping into discussions! Good to meetcha!

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
+ :force: for joining up and jumping into discussions! Good to meetcha!

Blimey, yes: in the rush to answer, I failed to notice that we had a newcomer!
Welcome!

Don't apologize for asking questions: we've all been there, and the "Rules" section has always been one of the best things about this forum, IMO...

Offline gambitking

• Development Group
  • Force: 34
  • feel the boot breeze
    • FTP Alternatives
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »
Hey Therion, welcome and plus Force to you for joining.

And yes, I think we all have wanted to strike all the opposing objectives at once, so no worries! Good luck and let us know if you need any more help.

"There's plenty of youth in the world. What we need is a fountain of Smart".

Offline Therion

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
Thanks, it's nice to have an awesome resource for an awesome game.

I do have another couple of questions, and I figure that it'd be easier to ask them here than to start another thread for them:

I don't quite understand the wording on the Plo Koon objective. It says: "You may discard...to give that unit +3 attack and +1 damage against space units." Does the limitation of "against space units" apply only to the damage, or to the entire sentence? If you discard the objective in a battle against a ground unit, do you not get any bonuses, or do you get +3 attack?

After reading the Objective Stacking Thread, I want to double-check that I'm reading Mustafar Mining Platform right; if I have three copies of it in play, I can bring in  :star: :star: :star: of units after destroying an opposing unit, right? EDIT: Never mind, just found the answer to this.

And where's a good place to get Pocketmodel singles? Troll and Toad is out on most of the cards that I want, and it seems that the trade forum is pretty dead. (Yes, I know this isn't a rules question...)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:53:28 PM by Therion »

Offline E_Lair

• Development Group
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:20:21 PM »
I don't quite understand the wording on the Plo Koon objective. It says: "You may discard...to give that unit +3 attack and +1 damage against space units." Does the limitation of "against space units" apply only to the damage, or to the entire sentence? If you discard the objective in a battle against a ground unit, do you not get any bonuses, or do you get +3 attack?

The way it?s worded, the implication is that the ?against space units? modifier applies to both the +3 attack and the +1 damage ? that?s certainly how I?ve taken it. From looking at other cards, I?d expect the wording to be different if the modifier only applied to the +1 damage. That means there?s no gain in discarding it against ground units.

After reading the Objective Stacking Thread, I want to double-check that I'm reading Mustafar Mining Platform right; if I have three copies of it in play, I can bring in  :star: :star: :star: of units after destroying an opposing unit, right? EDIT: Never mind, just found the answer to this.

As you presumably now know, the answer is ?yes?. The only thing I?ll add is to note the difference in wording between Mustafar Mining Platform and Kamino Cloning Facility. MMF stacks because it brings in ?:star: of units?, whereas KCF brings in ?:star: units?. That means KCF will only ever bring in units with one build star, whereas 3 MMFs stacking will allow you to bring in a 3-star unit.

And where's a good place to get Pocketmodel singles? Troll and Toad is out on most of the cards that I want, and it seems that the trade forum is pretty dead. (Yes, I know this isn't a rules question...)

Difficult to say. Most shops do seem to have run out (or at least stopped advertising).
I used the UK-based House Atreides (http://www.hacards.com/) a while back. I found them reliable, but a bit expensive (although that may not be so relevant now there are fewer alternatives). They still have some rares listed, but I?ve no idea how accurate that is.

If I were you, I?d still put an ad up in the trading board, though: you may just get lucky. Part of the problem is that most of the ?old hands? have nearly all they need. I gave away a lot of my spares a while back, but I still have some stuff, and am willing to trade for Pirates?

Offline Therion

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:50:02 PM »
Thanks for your help, it's nice to be part of this community.