Author Topic: Unit Design Contest Discussion  (Read 520 times)

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 138
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
Unit Design Contest Discussion
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »
Gen Con is a really big deal in the gaming industry, and representatives from Disney and/or LFL will likely be there, since they have their own properties that they will be showcasing. So, the winners of this contest have a great opportunity to be exposed to professional talent if their unit is selected to be rewarded as prizes to tournament players at Gen Con.

In order to have a valid entry, units basically have to be "out of booster," which means that they should assemble just like the ones we bought in stores. They would have to be put together with slots to form the pseudo-3D PocketModel. The unit would need to feature the depicted vessel's shape if looking straight-on from any of the three cardinal views: front/back, sides, and top. No view should be flat, and although gluing serves it's purpose for the cardstock layering, it isn't how PocketModels were assembled out of the boosters.

Don't worry so much about what material you are using. Cardstock will be okay, even if it looks flimsy from your perspective. If you put it reasonably together to mimic the WizKids design methods, we will take care of the rest using materials for the finished unit if selected for GenCon.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:29:05 AM by gethralkin »

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
I?m not planning to show this unit, but 30th celebration of Return of the Jedi (and this contest) will change my mind ;) This unit have 4 layers of cardstock, but when I print it on stearin?
So, does this mean that you want to enter this? If so, it is a very good choice for a unit entry.

Remember, unit must be 2.5D miniature, which means it will need to be identifiable/visible from each view, front, back, and side views, as well as top.

You little bit misunderstand me. What I mean ? I don?t want to show this model as cardstock model, because it is originally designed exactly as stearin 3D (or 2,5D ) pocketmodel. I hope those new images is remove all other questions about it.    

Re: Your entry
Okay, so is there any way that you can modify it so that it would be as something that would have been printed by WizKids and sent in boosters? That's what the aim is here.

Also, don't feel limited by the small booster packages. Remember that WK started printing double size cards for the Pirates at Oceans Edge ships and dragons. As long as those dimensions are kept and the unit can be assembled as if bought off the shelf, it will work.

EDIT: Sorry, thought it was obvious, but clarification has been added in original post.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:12:43 AM by gethralkin »

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
I'm in!

I'll goto Episode V and visit Hoth ...

The Golan Arms DF.9 anti-infantry battery:
Nice choice. Please don't forget to include unit stats. Would this be an unit?

Offline toco

• Recruit
  • Force: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:07:25 AM »
I failed you for the first time. ;)

I do not play SW PM, but I collected all miniatures (to use in Epic 40,000 by Games-Workshop). So there is no way I will be able to post a descent set of rules to go with the cannons.

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »
I failed you for the first time. ;)

I do not play SW PM, but I collected all miniatures (to use in Epic 40,000 by Games-Workshop). So there is no way I will be able to post a descent set of rules to go with the cannons.
You don't have to make up rules (in fact, it is not recommended, since this is using existing format). But, if you could put together some statistics for the base, then it would work with the game.

The winning pieces will have an opportunity to be played in an actual tournament at Gen Con. So, keep that in mind. ;)

Resource suggestions:
Star Wars? PocketModel? TCG―Official Rules, FAQs and Strategy Guide Links
Starnite's Point Formula for ships
ender4449's Point Formula for ships *Revisited*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:05:16 PM by gethralkin »

Offline tomcat78

• Padawan
  • Force: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 02:37:01 PM »
How you made this models?
which graphic tool and which material for printing?
regards

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
Re: Unit Design Contest Discussion
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »
How you made this models?
which graphic tool and which material for printing?
regards
I personally use ink and paper. I have taken images of ships that I have printed out and cut them into pieces and fit them back together. One such model I did was the Virago. It's one that I posted some time ago in the Custom Creations board.