Author Topic: Non-gaming Hobbies  (Read 66 times)

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 138
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
Non-gaming Hobbies
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
So, aside from playing games with my son, whether it's X-wing, Edge of the Empire, odd card games like hanafuda, or strategy-based chess-type board games like shogi, go, or, uhm... chess, I do other things for fun.

At the moment (and I don't really consider research a hobby even though I consider it to be a lot of fun), I am building musical instruments again. I haven't done this in decades, so it's nice to try my hand at it again. The first thing I ever built was a double-necked guitar that had a fretless bass on one neck and a steel slide on the other. It was appraised at around $5000 dollars, but it was hocked by an unscrupulous (former) friend of mine, so there's that.

I had started building a set of northumbrian pipes many years ago, which are similar to bagpipes except not as annoying and pumped with a bellows instead of blown with the mouth. However, since my health has declined in recent years, I am trying something that is not as ambitious just yet.

I am currently getting back into this by working on a bodhrán, which is an Irish frame drum (I will post pictures when I can). If this project goes well, I will try building a set of uilleann pipes - perhaps with the help of a musician friend of mine.

Yeah, music is pretty much my thing. What's yours?

Offline Donosis

• Development Group
  • Force: 40
  • Galaxy .ent "Your Galactic supplier."
Re: Non-gaming Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »
Writing. Primarily sci-fi but I will write any story that interests me. I am hoping to publish a book of original sci-fi stories one day.
"In these times, a smile from a Jedi is a hopeful sign."―Cal Omas
"I'm in control. I make the rules now." - Cad Bane
"Jedi, huh? My fee just went up. A lot." - Cad Bane
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good one." - Skipper

Offline SunDancer

• Administrator
  • Force: 11
Re: Non-gaming Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:35:34 PM »
Other Hobbies than gaming? That's heresy! I need to report you to the Commisar. May the emperor have mercy on your soul...

Let's see, there is X-Wing 1.0, Star Wars: Legion, Boardgames, Blood Bowl, Video Games, crafting things for the for mentioned games, watching YouTube and Twitch (for the hobby) and listen to music (while painting Star Wars: Legion and Blood Bowl)