Author Topic: Hosting server migration and new contract  (Read 575 times)

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • Force: 139
  • "Hey... It's me!"
    • Star Wars PocketModel TCG Online
Hosting server migration and new contract
« on: June 09, 2019, 08:52:02 PM »
Hey, guys.

So, I was contacted by the server host and told that we are starting to get to a point where the current contract is beginning to cost more than newer service available due to better technology and resources, and that the current server is starting to become outdated and will need to have its content migrated at some (currently undisclosed) future date.

Basically, the site will be about a third (if I recall from the convo I had) less expensive with a new deal, but that the cost would have to be paid for the entire 3 year period instead of monthly. The site would be migrated from the old server it's currently on, and if everything isn't preserved in the move then it can be rolled back.

Now, I have my reservations about this if the price might go up after 3 years, but I am asking questions and considering it, but need to get agreement from the fellow admins who are currently helping reconstruct the site and forums. We have time to think about this, though, but if getting things updated will be helped by migration, then we ought to consider it.

What do you think about taking this new 3-year option over the current monthly plan? -- and, yes, of course I need to quote figures (like the current deal is about $12/mo and the new one would avg somewhere about $6-$9/mo -- I need to find my notes) and discuss details (like security and support), but I just want to get a preliminary opinion.

Offline SunDancer

• Administrator
  • Force: 13
Re: Hosting server migration and new contract
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:33:38 AM »
For the last years hosting costs have been rather stable within the 10 USD/month range. Personally I wouldn't invest in any long contract. cancellation period shouldn't be longer then 3 months.

Question is: what does the website need? A database for the forum, a current setup of PHP and enough webspace for all the Files and data. The old webpage is heavily based on Adobe Flash and that's a dead technology. (It'll have EOL in 2020 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash) So the question is: what will happen to the homepage? Drop it and just focus on the forum? Redo the homepage with a simple CMS like Wordpress?

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
For the last years hosting costs have been rather stable within the 10 USD/month range. Personally I wouldn't invest in any long contract. cancellation period shouldn't be longer then 3 months.

That's my feeling, as well. I will call them back to ask more specific questions about it sometime next month, so that I can get all the details and get a list of pros and cons.

Question is: what does the website need? A database for the forum, a current setup of PHP and enough webspace for all the Files and data. The old webpage is heavily based on Adobe Flash and that's a dead technology. (It'll have EOL in 2020 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash) So the question is: what will happen to the homepage? Drop it and just focus on the forum? Redo the homepage with a simple CMS like Wordpress?

Yes, Flash was deprecated some time ago, and will be getting dumped entirely.

I really would like to see if we can preserve elements of the main website. Free Code Camp has some great resources that I am looking into.

Also, Google directed those needing to transition their sites to Adobe Animate and Google Web Designer which they convert Flash SWF files into HTML5.

Otherwise, as for playing Flash SWF files, they pointed towards Mozilla’s open source Shumway Flash virtual machine (as in Gordon Shumway, I guess).

Not sure how these things may work and if they will indeed will work well for us (I only recently became aware of them), but I think they are options worth looking into.

What does everybody think?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 10:39:04 PM by gethralkin »

Offline SunDancer

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 01:03:02 AM »
Did you come to a conclusion?

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 06:15:43 PM »
No conclusion yet. They just called again today and asked if I had thought more on it. They want to offer a $300 for 3 years or a a $500 for 6 years contract, but I don't have those kinds of lump sums stashed anywhere.

For now, they aren't forcing anyone to migrate to a new server, so I'm not in a hurry.

Offline SunDancer

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:12:36 AM »
I'm baffled that they want cash up front? I'm paying monthly.

Offline gethralkin

• Administrator
  • "Hey... It's me!"
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 03:04:51 PM »
Yeah, this site is a monthly thing, too. It seems that GoDaddy wants to change it's contract format. I said "no" to it until I have assurance that migration will not destroy the databases like it did last time, AND because I don't have that kind of loose change lying around in the couch seats.

In any case, they also just sent me this message regarding something that I hadn't used yet, but intended to when things were fixed and we had more members coming in:

We are removing unused Workspace free email credits from your account in 30 days.

Some time back, you bought a domain or hosting (or something) from us and we threw in some free credits to set up a Workspace email account. Because we no longer offer Workspace email as a free product option, in 30 days we’re removing the unused credits from your account. If you already activated a free email credit, there won’t be any disruption.

Anyway, it would be nice to retain the credits, so if you could set up the email and use the credits, that would be fantastic.

Offline SunDancer

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
That could only be done by someone with login credentials to your GoDaddy account. And I don't have those ;)