Author Topic: Play Testing regarding finalist custom cards  (Read 4962 times)

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Force: 67
  • Piskew! Piskew!
Re: Play Testing regarding finalist custom cards
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 05:18:59 PM »

The concept is good, it would just need that added to the card or just have a quick add-on the the FAQ

This is an excellent point I want to address in this contest.  It seems to me that the submissions for this contest should have text that is essentially ready to be printed on a card.  In this case, the creator failed to include text to specify that Dagobah Cave has blank text if there is not another objective in play.  If I was a judge for this contest I would have disqualified this entry because the text of this card is incomplete, despite the fact that I really like where this card is going.

But sadly I'm sure the people that were judging this contest are neither game designers or veteran gamers or they would have caught it. 

Yeah!

For help and links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline evilstar

• Padawan
  • Force: 3
    • Video Game News and Media
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 05:24:03 PM »
I don't want to personally offend the person who made it but why is Planetary Shield Generator on the top 5?  It seems really boring and uninventive compared to the other enteries.
Because it fixes a very big problem in the game right now.  Between Rebel Base and Death Star Trench, you can get obscene attack bonuses during strikes.  It's a good idea for a card, and conceptually it fits, too.  But perhaps its own defense should have been much lower, considering the card grants itself a +2.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad card, I just think that for a card design contest where you could have come up with just about anything that this one doesn't seem to be as creative as the others.  "-2 to strikes", seems more like the creator was trying to fix something rather than dig deep and come up with something original and creative.
>>>Evilstar<<<

Offline donyoda

• Master's Apprentice
  • Force: 90
  • Trade Federation HQ Manager
    • Phoenix Comicon
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 05:31:13 PM »
agreed
Jared "Jedi Knight" Alchemist
Phoenix Comicon Registration Coordinator
SWPM Trade Federation Headquarters
Do, or do not. There is no Try. - Yoda

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • Force: 89
  • So be it.
    • Star Wars Pocketmodels Community
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »

The concept is good, it would just need that added to the card or just have a quick add-on the the FAQ

This is an excellent point I want to address in this contest.  It seems to me that the submissions for this contest should have text that is essentially ready to be printed on a card.  In this case, the creator failed to include text to specify that Dagobah Cave has blank text if there is not another objective in play.  If I was a judge for this contest I would have disqualified this entry because the text of this card is incomplete, despite the fact that I really like where this card is going.

But sadly I'm sure the people that were judging this contest are neither game designers or veteran gamers or they would have caught it. 

lol
Admin

Offline FSTK

• Jedi
  • Force: 15
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 09:19:53 PM »
The parallels with MTG cards did come up while we were looking at the entries.  Obviously some of these cards are a bit powerful... but considering the open ended prompt I do not feel that is a problem (errate pdf anyone?). 
" border="0

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 03:14:17 AM »
I'd like to see how the one where you search your deck would play out. It has the potential to be game breaking because of AL, but it could also offer balance to the game in defeating AL. I guess it'd need to really be looked at.

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline CaptAntilles

• Jedi Master
  • Force: 58
  • "This is a consular ship..."
    • The Jedi Temple (Help For New Members!)
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 10:26:21 AM »
Planetary Shield Generator would be a little too powerful in Multi-Player with the current wording
Opponent gets -2 attack to their Strike actions.
Imagine a five player game where all of the players have a couple of these out. -12 attack anyone...?  :-\

It would probably have been better if it said "Strikes made against objectives you control get -2 attack."

Offline donyoda

• Master's Apprentice
    • Phoenix Comicon
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
Yeah, that would be better.

It just seems to me at least that a lot of what was chosen is more theme related than what the card really is or how it was worded.  I think that could have been made clearer as per the contest since each of these cards were not play-tested and the text/stats on several/all need  reworded.

Offline CaptAntilles

• Jedi Master
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 12:45:15 PM »
Yeah, that would be better.

It just seems to me at least that a lot of what was chosen is more theme related than what the card really is or how it was worded.  I think that could have been made clearer as per the contest since each of these cards were not play-tested and the text/stats on several/all need  reworded.

I get the impression that the judging considered Flavor, Mechanics, and Originality (IMHO).  In other words, did the card fit within the Star Wars theme well, did it have an effect that would be worth playing in the game, and was it more than just a knockoff of an existing card in the set?  Most likely, they focused on the intent of the card, rather than whether it would make it through rigorous play-testing.  These could all be tweaked to bring them more in line with the rules and balance of the game, no doubt.

Offline donyoda

• Master's Apprentice
    • Phoenix Comicon
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »

I get the impression that the judging considered Flavor, Mechanics, and Originality (IMHO).  In other words, did the card fit within the Star Wars theme well, did it have an effect that would be worth playing in the game, and was it more than just a knockoff of an existing card in the set?  Most likely, they focused on the intent of the card, rather than whether it would make it through rigorous play-testing.  These could all be tweaked to bring them more in line with the rules and balance of the game, no doubt.
Planetary Shield Generator - not playable, to strong, especially multi player format, not original
Force is Strong with this one - Every game has a tutor card, not original
Dagobah Cave - clone card, seen in some games, however, playable and not overpowered,
Mon Calamari Intuition - Jedi Temple + Call for Help = WAY over powered, using current game mechanics
You're All Clear Kid - most original, however, breaking the basic rule of the game that you can either move, attack or strike once per turn and targets 2 different ship icons.

Flavor text is fine on all of them, we can quote star wars until we're blue in the face, unless "pants" are involved :)
Only one gets my vote for playability, and another gets my vote for originality.

Offline CaptAntilles

• Jedi Master
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
Flavor, Mechanics, and Originality
Planetary Shield Generator - okay, there was the shield on Hoth and one protecting the Death Star, so the concept fits the game; the basic intent (to counter Rebel Base) seems sound, although the wording is a little clunky; while there is no card in the set that does this yet, it is a direct opposite of an existing card so originality is probably low.
Force is Strong with this one - the idea of pulling out what you need certainly works with the Force is strong concept (although Yoda would argue that "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."); the mechanic may or may not be considered a little overpowered, but works within the rules; while there are plenty of tutor cards in other games, there are none in this one, so it still scores a point or two on originality.
Dagobah Cave - I like the flavor of this card with the concept of the cave; mechanics could be a bit problematic keeping track if the objective it copies is destroyed, or if more than one cave copies different objectives, and if the cave is the first objective in play; while there are clone cards in other games, once again, there is none in this game yet so still a point or two for originality.
Mon Calamari Intuition - the flavor on this one seems wrong (did the rebels get to escape at Endor just because Ackbar yelled "It's a Trap!"?), it may have worked better as a "hyperdrive" card or something; wording could be just a bit clearer, but I think the intent is obvious so good mechanics; it combines elements seen elsewhere so not 100% original, but okay nonetheless.
You're All Clear Kid - I have to give kudos on the flavor, as this is very similar to the card I submitted but does a better job converting the movie scene into game mechanics than mine did; the mechanics may need some serious playtesting, as they create a situation not envisioned in the rules (striking during an attack) and could create unforseen problems, but the intent is good; as for originality, I know of at least a handful of others (myself included) who used this scene as the basis for our entry, but on the otherhand, there really isn't a card in the game that does this so I'll still give this one props.

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Force: 67
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »
I actually liked the shield generator because it was the most straightforward card.  All the others were too "look at me!"

For help and links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline fanaticopposition

• Jedi Master
  • Force: 100
  • "+ force happens"
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
Perhaps when we find out who the winner is those who created the cards can explain how they came up with the card, how they should be played,  why the game needs it and why they used certain icons/flavor text. That will be a good thread when the contest ends.

Hey, buddy, I lost my legs in the Clone Wars, can ya spare a little force?

For help and links go to the <a href="http://swpocketmodels.com/forum/index.php?topic=790.0 "> Jedi Temple [/url]

Offline twopiearr

• Jedi
  • Force: 9
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 02:00:44 AM »
PSG: I like this concept because objectives are a little too vulnerable currently. Needs tweaking.

TFISWTO: In a 30 card deck, this seems like a startingly powerful ability.

DC: Very cool idea, but the potential for record keeping errors seems rather...large.

MCI: If it moved your units to your home zone, this would be my favorite. Moving to ANY zone allows it to be used offensively, which flies right in the face of the spirit of it.

YACK: Probably the most balanced of the bunch, and I like that it requires you to build a force with at least some mixture of specialities in the ships. But yeah - use it with A-Wings and look out!

Offline stlnprfln

• Development Group
  • Force: 56
  • Woo Woo Woo... You Know It.
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 02:09:46 AM »

WOW. And you no have force. Gee no clue as to why. Yikes.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:27:40 AM by stlnprfln »

2013 SWPM WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!!

I made the 12 hour drive. I showed up to the tournament. I was undefeated. Prove me wrong!!!