Author Topic: Fleet Builder Under Development  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Treschonde

• Jedi Knight
  • Force: 85
  • Lead Designer/Coder
Fleet Builder Under Development
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:22:05 PM »
SWPM and I are beginning the development of the Fleet Builder.  I'd like to collect some suggestions from you fans on what features you would like to see present in the builder while I get the initial coding under way.
<a href="http://www.swpocketmodels.com/awesomebruce.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.swpocketmodels.com/awesomebruce.swf</a>

Offline Skippy

• Recruit
  • Force: 1
Re: Fleet Builder Under Development
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:57:48 PM »
I love the idea of a fleet builder. If you can also add a way to test your fleet against other fleets. A simulater of a sort. You should be able to sepereate the cards and models into their types (icons).

Offline Riptide

• Jedi
  • Force: 11
  • Happy Hunting
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:04:36 PM »
You have probably already thought of this, but a sort feature by factions.
Also if it would automatically tally the totals of each icon contained in the fleet, that would also be great.
Finally, thank you for your hard work.
"I have never been hurt by anything I didn't say"
    -Calvin Coolidge

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Force: 67
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:03:08 PM »
SWPM and I are beginning the development of the Fleet Builder.  I'd like to collect some suggestions from you fans on what features you would like to see present in the builder while I get the initial coding under way.

What would it be?  Just a list of the cards and ships?

For help and links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline mattyh

• Master's Apprentice
  • Force: 89
  • So be it.
    • Star Wars Pocketmodels Community
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:06:42 PM »
Nope, it will have a place to select ships and add them to your fleet (as well as cards).  It will display various stats about your fleet as well.  We are working out how to save the fleets you make and share them with others.  Hopefully comments will be doable as well.  We have many different thoughts at the moment.
Admin

Offline Treschonde

• Jedi Knight
  • Force: 85
  • Lead Designer/Coder
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »

What would it be?  Just a list of the cards and ships?

We've already made that, lol.. that's the Gallery.

No this will be a database controlled Deck/Fleet Builder.  Using your forum logins you will be able to create and store lists of ships and cards, give them names, sort through them, etc.  It will tie directly in to the gallery so that you can, for example, search for a card/ship and add it directly to your deck from the Gallery.

;D  8)
<a href="http://www.swpocketmodels.com/awesomebruce.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.swpocketmodels.com/awesomebruce.swf</a>

Offline _J_

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Force: 67
  • Piskew! Piskew!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:08:16 PM »
Nope, it will have a place to select ships and add them to your fleet (as well as cards).  It will display various stats about your fleet as well.  We are working out how to save the fleets you make and share them with others.  Hopefully comments will be doable as well.  We have many different thoughts at the moment.

Awesome.  But it's not some sort of virtual game of means of interacting with other fleets...it's a list of cards / ships and their stats.  That's what I was asking in a roundabout way.

Edit:  Alright.  That sounds like a delightful feature.

For help and links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline McLando

• Jedi
  • Force: 23
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 05:55:42 AM »
Perhaps after selecting your fleet it can recommend you cards to use, based on the tallies of symbols (Droid, Laser, Trooper etc.).

Maybe also calculate the percentage of your fleet that say, has Trooper, and then advise how many cards to include of this type in your deck.

One thing i'd say also is that it can be handy to be able to customise the fleet/card list view for just the cards that you actually own. 

Looking forward to it when its done!
Merry Christmas R2 D2

Offline FSTK

• Jedi
  • Force: 15
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 12:04:54 PM »
The statistics of this game are pretty easy, so adding a simple calculation to display ship performance against a defense 8 craft might be useful in the ship selection box.  There should also be a display of how many ships of each build-star rating there are.

Several Magic websites have analysis engines up that analysis virtual decks for various parameters such as speed, damage, etc.  SWPM --> ask the PowerMike about these sites, it might give you some ideas.
" border="0

Offline Shadd

• Recruit
  • Force: 4
  • H Tan, H Epi Tas
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »
The Excel ?Checklist and Teambuilder? in the download section would be a good start; it tracks the icon numbers along with providing the stat averages.

Can't wait to see what you put together!

Thanks for your time and effort.

Offline Porpman

• Administrator
  • Force: 179
  • "Got +Force?"
    • Porpoise Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 02:44:01 PM »
Sort/build by all icons, stats, stars, rarity, and factions, and any combination of them... kinda like the gallery does.
As someone suggested before, a way to save what you own (units and cards) to make the process easier.
Suggestions for builds based on card selection and vice versa.
Include pre-made build templates.
Allow for stepped or custom build sizes (10*, 20*, 30* etc, or enter the build size manually)

One I think is very important: Multiple build support
When creating multiple fleets, it stores what has already been assigned to a different fleet so it won't assign the same ship/card twice. This should be able to be done both on-the-fly (Add a Fleet) and in batches (Choose the Number of Builds). If the number of builds needed is known before hand, it can split cards up (like if only 3 MMP's are owned, and 3 fleets are needed, each deck will get one).

Hope that helps!

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to add it.  ;D

For Help and Links go to the Jedi Temple

Offline outrider

• Jedi
  • Force: 5
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
I agree...the Pre-made build template for a players deck and Fleet sounds good...
It wouldn't be all that necessary...but what about being able to filter card or ship rarity, like the gallery, for building a fleet and deck.
I like the idea of being able to filter ship stats: atk, dmg, def, shields.... ;D

You guys sure have your work cut out for you...
GOOD LUCK! ;D
FROM THE REN & STIMPY SHOW

Narrator: "How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to erradicate history at the mere push of a single button? The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button? Will he hold out, folks? Can he hold out?"

Stimpy: "No I can't! Yeagh!"

Offline DrFaulken

• Recruit
  • Force: 3
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »
It's a feature of minor importance, but how about a "shopping list" feature? The feature would display/print a list of cards that you included in the deck builder that you do not yet own. It might make trading/buying singles more easy, especially as more expansions are added.

Offline Lusien

• Recruit
  • Force: 4
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 01:56:22 PM »
What would be fantastic is having something where you check off ships and cards.

They're added to a seperate window and some simple values are totalled up.

Much like the X cel spread sheet found on the WK forums.

It totals up the build stars and averages, you then add on cards.

Then we have a nice easy link we can post on the forums instead of having to post our fleets long hand.

Also we can save the link and go back and edit it as we improve our decks.

Offline fanaticopposition

• Jedi Master
  • Force: 100
  • "+ force happens"
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
It would also be nice if somehow you could make the gallery/fleet builder independent of the website so we can download and use them on our home systems while not online. If you could do that I would be forever grateful...wishful thinking I'm sure, as you don't want your work available anywhere but online but you'd be doing the community a great service plus I could take it on my laptop to my local game store.

Hey, buddy, I lost my legs in the Clone Wars, can ya spare a little force?

For help and links go to the <a href="http://swpocketmodels.com/forum/index.php?topic=790.0 "> Jedi Temple [/url]